We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning Family Vacation 2014

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
planning Family Vacation 2014

I am starting to plan family vaca to Fla for summer 2014. Flying in from dayton ohio.Looking for small air port. Flew into Dulles this summer and HATED it. The people were nice but it was overwhelming. perfer a smaller airport. We are unfamiliar with the area. We are a group of 13

my sis and I 57-64, the kids and spouses 34-40, the Grands 6-15. the kids may drive down. Looking for something near to Orlando with in 2hrs,. want to do Cape Canaveral ,1 Day at Disney, Sea World,Maybe charter fishing. Like water parks. We usually rent cottages from vrbo or Home away, but are open to other rental companies. are looking at waterrfront or near beaches. Any info to help narrow the search would be appreciated. I have been to Daytona,and StPete and Islamorada in the past..

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,927 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning Family Vacation 2014

You could fly into Melbourne. Delta and US Air use this airport. Very small but simple, not crowds like Orlando. Or check Sanford Airport which is also small. Melbourne is 1 hour from Orlando and about 30 minutes from Cocoa Beach. You would find more rentals in CB however VRBO may show some. There are also a couple of timeshare resorts, like Las Olas Beach club and others.

Look at www.mapquest.com or google maps to see mileage between areas. Sea World is only 1 hour drive 9straight across the 528-Beachline)from Cocoa Beach, (Disney is a little further but you can take the Beachline to the 417 and miss a lot of traffic) if staying Cocoa Beach. Both are easily doable for day trips.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning Family Vacation 2014

Two hours driving from Orlando opens up both coasts -- Cocoa Beach is less than an hour, and the nearest Gulf beaches are about double that. Cocoa Beach is close enough that we started staying there,just driving over to Orlando for the day when we felt like it. Something nice about not having a schedule, and just sitting on the balcony having coffee and discussing whether today will be pool, beach, or Disney.

However, there are not a lot of cottages and homes available on the beach, most will be condos, and not all will be available for shorter durations. Ninety days, thirty days, and a week are common minimum rentals at many places. If you check out the Internet, be sure to search both Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral, although most single-family houses on the ocean will be in south Cocoa Beach.

Orlando MCO isn't that bad to get in and out of; I just flew out of there at 10:45 today -- I left the north end of Cocoa Beach at 9, had a 40-minute drive, dropped off the rental car in the garage, walked across the driveway into the terminal, breezed through security in five minutes with a frequent flyer pass and carry-on, and was back home in Illinois having lunch with friends at 12:15. Melbourne (30 minutes from Cocoa Beach), Sanford (75 minutes), and Daytona Beach (70 minutes), are smaller and easier because they don't have long trips to the gate and crowds. However, the trade-off may be reduced schedule flexibility, higher fares, and connections are usually necessary (for example, to use one of the smaller airports, I would have needed to connect through Atlanta rather than taking a non-stop back to Bloomington).

Good luck in finding the ideal place.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning Family Vacation 2014

No cottages. Rentals on the water will be condos in the Cocoa Beach area. I have family that loves the Melbourne airport because it is so small, but the flight prices in their case are $200 higher than flying into Orlando.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,927 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning Family Vacation 2014

US Air out of Melbourne connects at Charlotte instead of Atlanta. Its much cheaper than Delta. In our case we save because we would have to pay to park our car at Orlando to the tune of about $20/day plus the gas over and back. It may not be a savings to those with a rental car.

5. Re: planning Family Vacation 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 12, 2014