We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

Hello,

I am looking for a hotel for the Space Coast Marathon in November. All the hotels on the marathon website are on the other side of the causeway near Cape Canaveral. I have searched and searched for a hotel near the start line or west of the start line instead of east, but the only hotels I can find do not have any reviews at all on any websites. I take that as a bad sign. :)

The race starts near Riverfront Park near Brevard and Orange Avenues. I would really like to avoid the traffic getting over the bridges that morning. I know there is a B&B, but can't find anything else, and I want my own bathroom...:) Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

I imagine the Parrish Grove Inn is already booked. You might check the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cocoa,

301 Tucker Lane, Cocoa, FL (321) 635-9975. It's on I-95 at State Road 520. There's a few other hotels along that stretch of I-95, most older.

Apart from the downtown area and waterfront, Cocoa has long been economically depressed. In mainland Brevard County, urban growth has sprawled, leaving older areas behind. The current mainland center of retail and government activity is at Viera, west of I-95 just north of Melbourne.

Someone who currently lives in the immediate area will likely have more ideas. The marathon route, by the way, is quite attractive.

Edited: 9:54 pm, August 20, 2012
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

To my knowledge, the closest hotel is the Clarion on SR 520 in Merritt Island, about a mile and a half east of Riverfront Park. The Holiday Inn Express is a few miles farther away, out to the west at the SR 520 and I-95 interchange. There is also an Econolodge in north Cocoa at the US 1 at SR 528 interchange, but that is also farther than the Clarion.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

Thanks to both of you. All three of these hotels were not listed on the marathon website, so it will be helpful. I will look into them. I posted the same question on the other forum because sometimes people don't look at different cities, just their own.

Thanks again.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

I have another question, sorry!

Are either of you familiar with the traffic created by the marathon event? I wonder if it would be better to stay closer at the Clarion, but have to travel on the bridge with many other people, or stay a little farther away at the Holiday Inn Express but not have to travel bridges. The site says nothing about parking, probably b/c they want us to take the shuttles from the host hotels on Cocoa Beach (going west of course across the bridges to get to the start line). Any insider info?

Thanks again.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

No insider info, but parking in Cocoa is rather limited--it was a small town, and has been bypassed in terms of urban growth by Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach, and more recently the Viera area. So perhaps parking in Cocoa is the main problem?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

I've never run the race, but am familar with the route. I'm puzzled why you might feel that the Clarion might be isolated from the start/finish point at Riverfront Park. As said, parking will be limited, so driving might be ill-advised, but the distance between the Clarion and the park is short enough that you could travel by foot, taxi, or via a bus that runs that route. See www.ridescat.com and look at route #4, which runs every half hour. As I recall, traffic will be flowing on highway 520 and the causeway bridge, although there will probably be some interuptions as participants are allowed to cross 520.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

I happened to be driving down 520 past the Clarion and into Cocoa today, and took particular note of the walking route. It is a short walk, a little over a mile, but the only drawback is that there is no walkway on the portion over the Merritt Island (Indian River) Causeway. However, a taxi or the #4 bus mentioned above would work well.

I also noted that there is a Budget Inn on US1 (Cocoa Blvd) just north of downtown Cocoa; via Forrest Avenue, it would be slightly closer to Riverfront Park than the Clarion, with no bridges. However, it did not appear to be more than a one-star lodging from the exterior, so I would check the reviews.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

I run the race every year. It is a GREAT race. I don't recommend staying at the Clarion and walking. I recommend using one of the race sponsored hotels and their shuttle service. Running Zone sponsors the race and they are incredibly organized. If you do drive, parking is not that big of an issue, I drive every year and have never had a problem. I arrive about 1.5 hours, maybe less before the race and me and my friends I run with have never had an issue. I do not believe the ridescat busses will be available that early but if using a buss I would only use the ones at the host hotels. You can also check out the races Facebook page for more suggestions. Everyone is correct the hotels are not close to the start/finish line. This is a nice size event but not HUGE so give yourself plenty of time whatever you decide to do and you will be just fine.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

Sorry I have not replied until now. My email did not receive the notifications for some reason.

Great responses. Thank you.

I did ask on Facebook but no one ever responded.

The reason I don't want to stay at a host hotel is, quite honestly, I don't want to catch a shuttle at 4:30 in teh morning and then drive to all the other host hotels. I would rather sleep until about 4:30 and leave the hotel around 5:00 or 5:15.

sshuttle-Since you are familiar with the race and you drive, what do you think of the suggestion of the Holiday Inn Express west of the start line? That way, no bridge traffic. You said I could drive and park without traffic and parking problems, right?

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help from a Local, Please. Thank you!

I think that would be great. It won't take you long to get there and as long as you don't cut yourself short on time you'll be fine. I actually come over the bridge fron Merritt island and have never had a problem.