We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air boats?

Silver Spring...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air boats?

I saw where the ecotours are 90 minutes which I liked at first but the ones at midway say they are the real deal and they look like they go through real swamp and not just a lake or something but they were only an hour. Which one is the best?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air boats?

I haven't been on all of the airboat tours to be able to compare, but the ones just west of Cocoa do go into a "real" swamp. The St. John's River is one of Florida's largest drivers, running from the south up to Jacksonville. At its location west of Cocoa, it is slow-moving water that flows through tall grasses, and is very wide and shallow. It is not just a lake, although lakes are connected to it. We last were out there about 15 months ago, and saw numerous alligators, other wildlife/birds, and Indian tribal mounds.

Beyond location, other variables that would seem to promote an enjoyable tour would be the size of the airboat and how crowded it is, the guide's knowledge and personality, cost, time on the water, and the activities -- some people like speeding through the water, while others worry about the potential of hurting wildlife. There are sometimes little extras -- such as giving each passenger an information sheet, earphones, a drink, or even a piece of alligator jerky.

I can recommend the Grasshopper Eco-tours that leave from Lake Poinsett, off SR 520 just west of the interchage with I-95. In that same area, you can also get tours at the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp, slightly farther west on 520. I really can't say they are the very best available, as I haven't been on many others, so maybe other posters will chime in.

2. Re: Air boats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, June 18, 2013