We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Hi

My family of 4 kids, 2 parents & 1 granny are heading to Cocoa for some respite from the Orlando theme parks in July as well as to take in Kennedy and hopefully see some turtle nesting sites.

We're looking for a beach-front condo with good access to restaurants / shops / entertainment. Is there a particular area of Cocoa Beach we should be looking at? Or particular complexes we should consider?

It's our first visit to Cocoa Beach, so any help you might offer would be greatly appreciated!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

July is a good month to go over from Orlando because the ocean breezes will keep the beaches 3-5 degrees cooler than the interior around WDW. The short trip back and forth, about 45-60 minutes, is a bonus.

You have several lodging categories. The first are the hotels -- several dozen of them -- that are on are nearby the beaches. They range from budget accomodations up to very nice full-service hotels, although there are no truly deluxe and expensive resorts (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, etc) in the area. Hilton, Doubletree, Marriott Courtyard, Radisson and Sheraton are all established chains there. Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, and Country Inn are also represented with nice facilities.

The second category are the condo resorts. These are 1-3 BR condo units with living rooms and kitchens that are nice for family groups like yours. Being hotels, they often have availability of houseskeeping services, on-site restaurants, and activity programs. My favorite is the Discovery Beach Resort, with all units having balconies that directly overlook the ocean. It is in a quiet area just north of the Cocoa Beach Pier -- a desirable location. Farther south is the Resort on Cocoa Beach, very similar except that not all rooms have ocean views. Farther north is the Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort, which has some condo units on the beach, and regular rooms just off the beach. It has a very nice pool area with sprays, small slides, and even a lazy river that younger children will like.

The third category are rental condos themselves. Look on VRBO.com or the TA rental pages to see listings. The main problem with this category is that many of the rentals will be for minimum periods of one month, or one week. A small minority of all the listings are rentable by the day -- look at the rates to see if single days are offered. See some of the previous threads on the Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral forums to see some of the names of complexes that do rent by the day; some of the notable ones are: Cocoa Beach Towers, Chateau by the Sea, Sandcastles, Broardwalk, etc.

PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

we are doing the same thing in August. we rented a condo at Sandcastles- ocean front view.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Sandcastles oceanfront looks perfect!

I'm just struggling to find someone to rent to us for a short period.

Do you have a contact I could try?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

How many days are you wanting (from when to when?) -- I'm guessing something less than a week? The other issue is often the starting day -- especially in the busy season, many rentals start on a Saturday and that doesn't always fit with the travelers' schedules.

In looking at Sandcastles on vrbo.com, I note at least eight units that indicate daily rates. Sometimes, the owners will still try to get a full week rather than a few days, so they may not always honor their own daily rate offer. A good way to tell is to look at the availability calendar to see if units have actually been rented for just a few days at a time. For example, listing #56417 does show periods when it has only been rented for just a weekend.

Have you looked at: Boardwalk, Chateau by the Sea, Cocoa Beach Club, Cocoa Beach Towers, Diplomat, Royale Towers, and the Spanish Main? All have units that have been offered for nightly rentals in the past. Most condo associations have minimum rental periods; at our complex, it is 90 days. Personally, we don't rent out because we don't want the hassle and want the unit to be available for our (and our family's) schedule, which often allows only for a few days travel to Florida when work schedules allow.

PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

I rented from VRBO - some do say they rent daily.

this is our condo

http://www.sandcastlescondos.com/

The owner's name is Ron.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Thanks for all your help and avice so far.

We are only looking for 3 nights 11 July to 14 July and so far no luck getting anything at Sandcastles. I'm working my way through the others kindly listed by PhotoTravels.

If all else fails I will try the hotels, is International Palms any good? Thought I might try here as it's next to Sandcastles.

Thanks again!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

I just looked -- the Resort on Cocoa Beach has one 2 BR suite left for July 11-14, at around $300 per night. If you hurry, you may be able to get it, and it shows free cancellation if you find something better.

It is in a good location right along the beach. It has some rooms with direct ocean views, but many are not.

That period is a busy one, so I would try to lock something up soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Besides checking vrbo.com, also try HomeAway, rentalo, and other vacation websites. I have found a good many who rent on vrbo.com will also belong to one of these others, while you will find listings on these you won't find on vrbo.com. Good luck to you.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Hi All

Just arrived home in Scotland following our trip to Florida. We stayed at the Doubletree on Cocoa Beach and had a great time, the hotel was exactly what we wanted for our 3-day chill-out. The beach was just fab, could have stayed forever!

Many thanks to all who offered advice.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay in Cocoa Beach?

Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Cocoa Beach Doubletree and thanks for checking back with us.