We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton vs Sheraton

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
westlake,ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton vs Sheraton

Hi-- I am hoping for some info. We'll be in Clearwater for a long weekend in Mar. with hopes of some beach time, pool time, pier 60 and any other small chlid fun. Our kids are 2 and 6 so does anyone have any opinions on the Sheraton vs the Hilton for our stay? Also any activities in the area for them?

Thank you

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

Don't rule out the Marriott...haven't been in any of those Hotels but I can tell you that the Hilton is closest to Pier 60 and the hullaboo of Clearwater Beach (fine-if thats what you are looking for) whereas the Sheraton and the Marriott are across the Sand Key Bridge adjacent to Clearwater Beach.

Me- I'm a Marriott guy (rewards) but investigate all those hotels on this website...the reviews are usually accurate.

One slight drawback-The Marriott is across the street from the Sheraton on the intercoastal waterway.

If it were me...you get a better bang for your buck in a condo.

Kingswinford, West...
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

The Marriott would be my choice - great location although not on the beach with superb views from all rooms over the Intracoastal.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

The Sheraton has a beautiful, large, quiet beach - great if you want to relax with the kids. However, it is on Sand Key as opposed to Clearwater's main beach. It's a decent walk to Pier 60, etc. (Especially with 2 little ones - my child is 4 and get tired after walking for a while.)

On the other hand, the Hilton is much closer to pier 60 and the marina, shops, Frenchy's, etc. No matter where you choose to stay, don't miss the Pirate Cruise (the kids will LOVE it!) and a meal (or two) at one of Frenchy's restaurants. (We like Saltwater's best) I worked on the beach at the Sheraton for several years while in school. The beach and hotel are great and relaxing and the staff truly are friendly. You can't go wrong with a trip to Clearwater! Enjoy!

westlake,ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

If you decide on the Sheraton or the Marriott. Dont be put off by the distance to Clearwater. You can just catch the Jolly Trolley. It runs up and down Gulf Blvd all day. Here is the main website.

http://www.thejolleytrolley.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

I've stayed at all 3 resorts (Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton) and you really can't go wrong with any of them, but each have their pro's and con's.

Hilton

Pro's - Best location, right on the Pier and Clearwater Beach. Half decent pool and amenities. With a 2 and a 6 year old, you'll be holding the 2 year old, but your 6 year old may want to swim on their own, so a minor warning, the Hilton pool area is "busy", so keep an eye on them. Sheraton pool is a little quieter and easier to watch the kiddies because of it's design. Staff at the hilton are friendly and helpful, and parking convenient, but a bit pricey. Views are great in this hotel, I've stayed there 3 times, always had a great view.

Con's - Hotel rooms and common areas need some updating. Hotel can also be noisy (both in the hotel/thin walls and surrounding area at night with the nightlife). Also note that there is a massive expansion construction project going on in the area so morning noise is heavy from machines. Will be great when it's done this year. This hotel has changed names many times and is slated for demolition for a condo in 3 years. So, not much is being done to renovate/improve it, but it's definitely not bad, just not great, little tired looking.

Sheraton

Pro's - Great rooms, all have been completely renovated now (started a year ago) many with wall mounted LCD screens, great views, and clean common areas. This also was an old main stay hotel originally (The Sand Key Resort), but when Sheraton took it over, they started the renovation from top to bottom. Couple of good restaurants on site for breakfast and dinner. Easy walk to the boardwalk shops and restaurants about a block away and across the street. There is an on-site playpark for the kids and the pool is laid out in a way that it's easy to keep an eye on the kids. There is a small round kiddie pool for the young ones with warm water up to their waist, so very safe. Patio/Pool food available as well, although expensive.

Con's - Too far from Clearwater Beach to walk, but the Jolly Trolly is handy, although tough with strollers. Easy drive and parking is still not too expensive considering it's a major tourist beach.

The hotel pool is a little small for the size of this resort, but well kept. Note that most Clearwater hotels turn their pool heaters off at the end of March, so if you visit in April, it may be a bit chilly in the pool during the transition time until it gets really hot in May.

Beach - Sheraton is on Sand Key beach, but set back from the water quite a bit, so don't expect to be able to easily come and go to the beach and your room, go to the beach prepared with all your stuff. Also note, Sand Key beach is a dredge beach, meaning it's made from sand that was dredged up from the gulf bottom and depostied. This results in a lot of ground up shell content, which gives it a beautiful white look from afar, but a little shelly/hard when you're on it. Almost too hard to make a sandcastle as the water can't bond with it. Clearwater Beach on the other hand is a finer white sand, much of it shipped in. Don't get me wrong, Sand Key is beautiful, the beach is quiet, lots of room to spread out, so you never feel that people are on top of you and the water is clear and blue/green. The beach is well maintained and groomed every night. Clearwater beach is very very busy, typical of any large city beach and hard to find a private spot, but the sand is soft and white.

Marriott

Pro's - Great for business travellers who have Marriott expectations. Great staff, on site parking, and good restaurants on site. Small, but really nice pool with spa type amenities around it. Rooms and common areas are very clean, typical of a full service Marriott.

Con's - Not a great location, no beach at all, as it's located on a Marina (which is neat in itself, but not a beach). You can walk across the street to the Sheraton and use the beach that is part of the Sand key Park, but a long walk. I honestly would not recommend this hotel because of it's location, especially with the 2 kids.

Conclusion:

So, narrowing it down to the Hilton or Sheraton, you really can't go wrong. If you want a quiet relaxing hotel with a great beach and don't mind a quick drive or trolly over to Clearwater for the restaurants etc, go for the Sheraton, it's wonderful. If you're looking for more action and excitement all day and night with easy access to Clearwater restaurants and beach, go for Hilton.

7. Re: Hilton vs Sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 27, 2009