We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tampa or clearwater info needed

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee
Level Contributor
653 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
tampa or clearwater info needed

My family and I are planning on taking a summer vacation to florida. We have two boys ages 2 and 6. We do not want to rent a car. So which place allows you to see the city by walking or other means of public transportation? Also would like to know if clearwater has a lot of tourist attractions. I know about B.G. in tampa. We have selected The Holiday Inn Busch Gardens (Tampa) or the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort (Clearwater) Any information would be appreciated.

Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

Clearwater is great and the kids will love it! If you go somewhere without a strip mall then where are the boys going to buy their buckets and spades? We just got back from a week in that area and my two (7+10) adored it. To be honest there's not a great deal apart from the beach, so in some ways you could get by without a car. The trolley system is extensive but a bit slow and you may get fed up paying all the time. We did a two-centre with Orlando. Best holiday we ever had. A big thank you to all the people in the US who showed such hospitality to four guests from the UK.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

I will answer your question brightis about taking the kids to FLorida.

Holiday Inn Sunspree on Clearwater has alot to do for the kids. There is a trolley the runs up and down the clearwater beach area, and out to the Marine Science Center. A shuttle can take you from TIA to the Resort. There are numerous decent restaurants on the island for the kids. Mini Gulf, a pirate ship cruise, boating excursions to Caladesi Island(an all natural island), fishing. The is also a shuttle service that provides transportation to Busch Gardens from the resort for a day of adventure. The resort is made for families so there are movies, and video games, along with family entertainment. If its Florida you want with no car, Clearwater Beach is great for your visit. Contact the resort and they can fill you in.

Enjoy!

Atlanta, GA
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

Question to all in the forum......We too are planning a vacation to the area. I have 14 and 16 year old sons. Would this be an area for them to enjoy? Also, we are planning to do the Busch Garden scene, would this be enjoyable to teens? Appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Warwick RI
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

We just got back from a 6 night stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. My review of the hotel will probably be posted in a day or 2. In a nutshell, the Sunspree is great for kids. We really enjoyed Clearwater Beach. Yes, it is a tourist area but that's what we are. Please note Clearwater and Clearwater Beach are 2 different areas. Clearwater Beach is where you want to stay. We rented a car and drove to Tampa to see the Lowry Park Zoo and Kid City, the children's museum. With traffic, it took about an hour to get from Clearwater Beach to the zoo (exit 48). We didn't feel our 3 yr old was ready for Busch Gardens. He loved the beach area at the hotel and Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise is an absolutely must! It was actually what sold me on going to Clearwater Beach. The cruise is totally geared to kids yet there is also an adults only deck too. The "pirates" did a wonderful job. We also did Sunset at Pier 60 and ate at Britt's Laguna grill twice. Pickles Plus deli just over the causeway in Clearwater was very good too. We did ride the trolley and found out that there are actually 2 trolleys - the Jolly Trolley, and the Suncoast trolley. We also drove over the bridge to Sand Key Park which has a nice playground area in the shade.

I should say I did stay at the Holiday Inn in Tampa near Busch Gardens in '92. It was just after Hurricane Andrew and from what I remember it was basically just a place to stay while going to Busch Gardens. I think it has a pool but the Sunspree is definitely more vacation oriented.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

Movnagain

Your teens will love Busch Gardens. The rides are good for teens and it is not so crowded. The park is more relaxed. We went early and were ready to go home early afternoon after a few times on favourite rides.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

the beaches there are a playground for kids ( clearwater beach - st pete beach)... sand is great for playing and seashell collecting... and the water doesnt have huge waves... fishing and boating are great.. plenty of good family-type restaurants..

shopping is available... but Johns Pass is anything but mall-like... hope you enjoy your stay

tropicrentals.com #588

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: tampa or clearwater info needed

hi, i have to agree with other posters that Clearwater Beachis a great family holiday. Holiday Inn is well equipped for kid- they'll love it. The beach is definitely the draw here. My teenage kids now prefer Busch Gardens to Disney- not a destination itself, but a fun diversion from the beach, more exciting rides for teens, much more manageable. Staying near Busch should be striclty for a park visit overnight, not a basefor vacation. I really think a car rental is a good idea, even if only for part of haliday. have fun there!