We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

california
Level Contributor
493 posts
Save Topic
Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

Hi

we will be driving from Orlando to Clearwater on a Monday afternoon. I see the "official" drive time is 90 minutes.

1. Is that fairly accurate

2. At what time in the afternoon would I start to hit bad traffic as I enter Clearwater? WOuld it be safer to arrive by say 3pm, or is traffic not bad until 4:00 or 5:00. we can be flexible, I just would like to avoid bad traffic.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

You'll probably be using I-4 to Tampa then hwy 60 (Courtney Campbell Causeway) to Clearwater. If you get into Tampa before 3 pm, you should be okay for the rest of the way. In any case, allow at least two hours to Tampa, IF you don't run into any traffic on I-4, then another 30 minutes to Clearwater. So that 2.5 hours total.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

I don't mean to be rude, but these sort of questions are a bit silly really. First of all, it depends where you are starting from in Orlando, which of course is a huge area. North or south could easily make a difference in journey time of up to an hour. Then again how can anyone predict the traffic conditions. The biggest traffic hold up I ever had on this journey was a 10 mile hold up, not in the rush hour, caused entirely by a film crew filming on a bridge on the I-275.

Tampa will be your main problem, not Clearwater. Allow at least two hours for the journey at any time.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

Wow!

I would allow 2 hours. As long as you get through Tampa by 3:30 you should be fine. After that it will really add to your drive time.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Florida
Level Contributor
406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

Traffic can be hit and miss from Orlando. There are no official bad times to drive. Literally all day long can be bad on some days. I have driven to and from Orlando with it only taking 1.5 hours most other times it has taken 3 hours and those times were not morning or late afternoon traffic, I am talking about 11am-2pm.

In my opinion the worst traffic is from Disney all the way to Lakeland.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
5. Re: Drive time and traffic from Orlando to Clearwater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 pm, August 26, 2009