We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

We fly out a week today on the 2nd Sept and the predictions on the National Hurricane Centre website show it alarmingly near Florida next Thursday. Do the Airports (Sanford in particular) have to take a direct hit for them to cancel flights?

Florida
Level Contributor
406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

Honestly, I dont think you have anything to worry about. However, these things are very unpredictable. The information we have now is that it may or may not clip the Gulf coast (we are in the cone of uncertainty but that does not mean we will get anything from this storm.) Airports do not cancel flights unless we are going to take a direct hit and the Sanford area is not in the cone. Just keep checking the NOAA website.

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

phew ! thanks for the reassurance !

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

I hope it's not too late for you to read this, but things have taken a "not so good" turn with Ernesto, and it is predicted to not only enter into the eastern gulf, but forcast paths have it coming ashore right over Tampa Bay. Again, this is a week out, and these paths change, but it is something to be well aware of. Either way, unless it hits well to our south, we're due to get some sizeable rain and wind from it.

And no, airports do NOT have to take a direct hit to cancel flights. It's all about the wind. So, if the storm comes fairly close to us, or the airport is on the southern side, they may close for a while.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,444 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

The only "good" thing (if there is one) is that the path has changed so drastically since yesterday morning, that I'm holding out hope it will change again before it gets too close to Florida. What bothers me is that it's path reminds me of Hurricane Charley, two years ago. Our house did not fare well with that one!

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

yep thanks for the heads-up. I'm currently keeping a very close eye on it !!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

Check out some of our local media sites, they are usually right on top of any changes in the track or intensity of the storms. Some of the ones I like are:

www.tbo.com

www.baynews9.com

www.myfoxtampabay.com

I didn't realize that you were flying out on Sept 2nd, the storm should be gone by then, so the worst you'll be dealing with is how much damage it did to the area. And you should know that by probably Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

ok thanks flgal, I've got so many news sites bookmarked its unreal !

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

Sid: The National Hurricane Center updates their information every three hours. The next update is at 5 PM EST. Don't go crazy checking the news all the time, as the information you'll get is the same one. The 2 PM update showed the path as crossing the State of Florida, entering through the Keys and exiting by Jacksonville, but it changes every time they update.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

HACMCO is right...you can drive yourself nuts trying to guess where it's going to go and when. Most advisories come out (I think) at 8am, 11am, a 2pm (minor update), 5pm and 11pm. Of course, the storm isn't going to make any major leaps right now in between those times, so a once or twice a day check should be sufficient. And again, it should be gone by the time you get here on Saturday (unless it really stalls over Cuba) and if there was significant damage to the area you're flying into, maybe you can make a last minute change to your plans without suffering too much penalty. Because if the storm does go through where you plan on being, I can't imagine wanting to vacation in the mess (especially if we're without power in this heat!!)

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm Ernesto, anything to worry about?

yea I just keep checking NOAA. The 5pm advisory shows it almost past florida @ 2pm Friday. It has been downgraded to a TS but could pick up strength again over the gulf.

We are actually stopping in Clearwater at the Marriott, I'm just hoping even if we do manage to fly out we still have a hotel standing !