We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon hotel help

Stout, IA
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon hotel help

Hello! I have been reading and reading this forum, but I am still confused!!

We are a couple in our 40-50's who were there for a day in April with my teens. We loved it, and will be back, kid free, for our honeymoon next year. We spotted some big fancy hotels we liked, but now after researching, they are probably out of our price range.

I do not think I have a lot of wants (he may tell you different :)). I wanted to be on the beach, but right across the street may have to do. I do not want to be right there at the Pier, although being with in walking distance is a must, as we will not have a car, and it seemed like that was the center of everything. I want a view, although I see not all of the hotels have balconies, that would be a huge bonus!! We will mostly be relaxing with drinks, however our hotel does not need to have a bar, as long as there are some bars with beach views (or on the beach) very near!

With only being there 1 day, we only were able to enjoy the beach and 1 beach bar, and were unable to do much hands on research!! My brain is on over load after researching hotels for a couple days, so I would appreciate any input that fits the above categories. Again I apologize as I know this has been addressed many times, but I am on research overload. Have a great day!!!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon hotel help

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! The Pier House 60 Marina Hotel, and the Holiday Inn come to mind.

The hotel that is right next to the pier is the Hilton, and yes, the pier area is kind of the hub of activity. Very near it, and big is the Hyatt. Though, these will be $more$ than the two above.

Pier House 60 Hotel. New hotel. 1-2 minute walk to the pier and beach. Across the street and parking lot from the beach. Balconies overlooking the beach or marina. Easy walk to everything. Don't know how important the pool area is for you. But, the pool area here seems kind of dead from the few times I have been there. Just a pool, no tiki bar, music, action, etc. Onsite 10th floor open-air rooftop bar. No food served other than just something to nibble on, chips etc. But good drinks, and the view is worth a visit no matter where you stay.

The Holiday Inn is on South Beach. A 3-5 min walk to the south end of the main beach, and a 10-15 min walk to the pier. Nice hotel, recently renovated. Balconies overlooking the water (or street depending on view you pay for). It is on the water (seawall along the property, not a beach/sand). A more active pool area, with Jimmy's Fish House & Iguana Bar onsite near the pool. Very good food with seating right next to the water, woth a visit no matter where you stay.

Between the pier and Holiday Inn, along BeachWalk, is Crabby Bill's BeachWalk, and Frenchy's South Beach Cafe. Both great places for food and drinks. Great view from upstairs open-air bar and seating at this Crabby Bill's.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon hotel help

I agree with Marks suggestions. The Pier House 60 is about two blocks from the Beach and the Pier and right by everything. It is brand new and will have some awesome views. This would probably be my number one pick on a moderate budget. They also provide breakfast, which can be a bonus. They do charge extra for parking.

If the Hilton is in your price range, it is right on the beach and right beside the Pier. Some of their rooms have views, but the lower rooms overlooking the beach look out over the roof of the rest of the building and get some noise by a/c units - so if you stay here and want a Gulf facing room, choose an upper room. The Hilton has two pools, bar service right on the beach and cabana and chair rentals. They charge extra for parking, and I think they charge a resort fee (this is an extra fee that many of the upscale hotels are tacking on instead of increasing their room rates).

The Holiday Inn has some lovely balconies overlooking the ocean, but no beach right in front. They have a very good restaurant and bar, and a nice pool, but the noise of the bar and pools can drift up to the rooms. They offer large, clean rooms, and some suites. I think all of their rooms have fridge and microwave - but you'd need to check that out. They do charge extra for parking.

One more hotel I will add - just in case you are interested. The Palm Pavilion is a small, older, beachfront hotel on the north end of the beach. It is older, but has just undergone renovations - has great beds and is kept immaculate. They offer free, no resort fees, and provide free wifi. I don't know if all rooms have small fridges, but you can request them if they don't. The hotel has no balconies, but the upper level Gulf rooms have good views, and there is an observation deck on the top floor. The hotel has a very casual beachfront restaurant/bar with some of the best views of the Gulf around - great place to watch the sunset. They also have cabana and chair rentals for about $19 a day (less for a half day - the main beach charges $25). Right across the parking lot is Frenchy's Rockaway Grill - another beachfront restaurant and bar. The north beach is quiet - we much prefer it - and about a 10 minute walk to the Pier. There are many restaurants within a two block radius (Clear Sky has excellent breakfast, bar and any time meals). The only draw back to this hotel is that their rooms are small, and they have no elevator, they do have ground level rooms if you don't want to do the stairs - but their price is very good.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope you find the perfect hotel for your honeymoon - it's a beautiful location.

Edited: 10:26 am, October 29, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon hotel help

Just a typo on my post - the Palm Pavilion offers free parking.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon hotel help

For dinner-not on the beach but to me a special occasion meal-Bob Heilman's Beachcomber or more casual in behind the Beachcomber is Bobby's Bistro. Excellent food and they pour a wicked martini...

Edited: 11:20 am, October 29, 2013
5. Re: honeymoon hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:32 am, April 16, 2014
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon hotel help

Island Way Grill is great for dinner and special occasions. It's just off Clearwater Beach on Island Estates. It's walkable or you can take the Jolley Trolley. There are a lot of free beach rides (golf carts) that you can use if you will not have a car. I would also stay away from anything on the south end of the beach because the spring break hot spot, Shephards, is there and that will be full of crazy partiers that time of year and they are allllll over. North Beach is your best bet. Palm Pavilion or Camelot are nice. (no view from Camelot though, but it's just one block off the beach in a good area right behind the Palm Pavilion.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon hotel help

Patti-sorry to hear your meal at the Beachcomber wasn't up to par. You are right-the clientele there is mostly older (although by your parameters you would consider me a youngster). I don't let that bother me. I haven't had a bad meal at the Beachcomber or Bobby's Bistro but a friend has...and the owner promptly fixed the matter. BTW, the Bistro is somewhat younger and is our fave of the two.

For a walkable resto destination I still stand by my recommendations-yours all require a cab ride except perhaps a www.floridafreerides.com golf cart to Columbia across the bridge...all the way into Tampa for Berns? That's a hefty cab fare.

8. Re: honeymoon hotel help

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:32 am, April 16, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon hotel help

I PM'ed you Patti.

10. Re: honeymoon hotel help

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 01, 2014