We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

massachusetts
Level Contributor
800 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

Looking for a supermarket to stop in on our way to Sand Key from Tampa airport, I haven't looked up the directions yet so am not sure if it is all highway and we will have to get off to get to a market, or if we will just come across one on our way to our hotel. We do want a liquor store stop also, but that is not a priority.Thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

You will leave TPA going across the Courtney Campbell Causeway (aka hwy 60 West) into Clearwater. After hitting the mainland, you will go thru 6 or so stop lights. On the NW corner of Gulf-To-Bay Blvd (still hwy 60 w) and Belcher St, there is an Albertsons Grocery. It also has a liquor store. The liquor store is attached to the grocery, but has a separate entrance on the East side of the bldg. Not the best grocery store in the area, but it is on your side of the road, and liquor and an OK grocery store in one stop.

Better grocery store, Publix on the SE corner of the same intersection. No liquor though, only beer/wine.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

Thank you again. Albertson's sounds convenient. I just want to pick up a few snacks and maybe some deli meat and cheese for the room. If I can get decent products at Albertson's I'd rather go there. Although we have neither Publix or Albertson's here so not sure about quality.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,476 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

Publix is head and shoulders above Albertson's in quality. Albertson's isn't bad, but it's a bit down at the heels.

Publix is the hometown chain.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

Albertson's has a liquor store, but it isn't the best grocery store. You might want to pick up a few groceries to get you started as you travel in from the airport and then go to the grocery store the next day and stock up on groceries. There is a Publix in Island Way - to the right just before you enter Clearwater Beach - but it doesn't have very good selection. The closest grocery store to Sand Key would be the Publix in Belleair Bluffs. To get there, turn south as you exit your hotel or condo, and drive until you reach East Bay Dr. and turn left. Just across the Belleair bridge on the right hand side is a Publix that has better selection than the Publix on Island Way,and much better than Albertsons. If you continue on that road until you get to 857 W Bay Drive you will find an even larger Publix on your right (this is the grocery store we use when we stay on Sand Key, and depending on traffic, is only about a 10 minute drive). They have a very nice bakery, deli, very nice produce and seafood.

Edited: 9:48 pm, July 31, 2013
massachusetts
Level Contributor
800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

Thank you.We will probably do as you suggested and stop at Albertson's, then a Publix after we get settled in if necessary.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

eeyoresmom....I would go to the Publix on Island Way. I have been there a couple times and never had a problem with selection. Easy to get in and out of and if a very nice area.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

Is there a liquor at least on the same side of the road as that Publix?This will be the Saturday of Labor Day weekend and we don't know the area AT ALL, so trying to make it as easy as possible.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

I am not sure if there is a liquor store in the shopping center of the Publix on Island Way.

I would not hesitate to get deli meats, snacks etc at Albertsons. Publix seems to be everyones #1 pick around here, as well as mine, when overall grocery shopping for the home. But to just get a few things, deli, etc, Albertsons would be fine IMO.

Or

You could stop at the Albertsons for liquor. Then hit the Publix on Island Way near the beach. That Publix is a little smaller than the larger stores on the mainland, but will have probably anything you are looking to get while on vacation.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

I know there was an Island Way Liquors near Publix but haven't been there for a few years. Where are you staying in CB? There is a liquor store, I believe in the strip center right near the SandPearl. North Beach Wine and Spirits? Maybe a local can fill you in as to whether these are still open.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket on way in from Tampa airport

We are staying at The Sand Key Marriot. Thanks