We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
106 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

We are going to be in clearwater in July staying at the Royal Camelot and we have never been in the area before. What are the must eat at restaurants in clearwater, and are there any must do activities in the area? We are a family of 4 with a 9 year old and a 4 year old. Thanks.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

I can only recommend Crabby Bills in Clearwater Beach, it's a sea food restaurant and they often play nice music. It's located directly at Pier 60 where you will also find some other attractions, e.g. trampolining for the kids.

Did your kids watch the movie "Dolphin Tale", that movie was shot at the Marine Aquarium in Clearwater where you can also see that very dolphin. It's also nice for kids if they don't know the movie.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

I hope you have a wonderful vacation with your famly, and enjoy your stay in Clearwater Beach. There are many things to do in the area - how many you do will depnd on how long your stay is and the weather.

The primary thing to do in Clearwater Beach would be the beach. It has wonderful soft, white sand. Other things to do would be:

Clearwater Aquarium: This is home to Winter - the star of the Dolphin Tale. Winter lost his tale after being caught in a trap and has bee outfitted with a prothestic one. The movie is about his story. The Clearwater Aquarium has become quite popular since th emovie was released. If you decide to visit, you can make reservations by phone or online and then you woldn't have to wait in line. http://www.seewinter.com/

There are many cruises available at the Marina - from dolphin cruises, to dinner cruises, to shelling cruises - these can all be found at the marina. There are also fishing trips that can be arranged and jet ski rentals. For dolphin cruises - my favorite would be LIttle Toot. This is a small tug boat - so you would be very close to the water - but the dolphins love to play behind that boat, and the skipper is very respectly of the dolphins. More fun for the kids might be Captain Memo's pirate cruise. This is a fun cruise for the kids with face painting, stories, and cannons being fired - all the while looking for dolphins. If you decide to do this cruise, book online for a discount. For a listing of all the businesses at the Marina click on this link clearwater-fl.com/gov/depts/marine_aviation/…

There are lots of day excursions that you could take:

Honeymoon Island: This state park has long beaches and the north end is particularly good for shelling. You could take your children and see how many different shells you can find. If you go, take a bag for each of your children to collect shells - and then see how many you can identify. www.floridastateparks.org/honeymoonisland/

Tarpon Springs: The area was settled by Greek's who were sponge fishermen. This area has a lovely warf area with many Greek restaurants, Greek bakeries, many shops and sponge cruises. It might be fun to spend the morning here, and then go to Honeymoon Island for the afternoon and collect shells.

John's Pass is a fishing Village with lots of fun shops, restaurants and water activities.

Bush Gardens - This is an amusement park with located in Tampa

Lowry Zoo - Located in Tampa it Is consistently rated one of the top family zoos in the United States.

For restaurants, my favorites would be:

Jimmy's Fish House and Iguana Bar - located in the Holiday Inn, this restaurant sits right on the water and has excellent food. If you eat here keep an eye out for the seagulls, as they like to swoop in and steal your food.

Frenchy's - There are quite a few Frenchy's in Clearwater Beach, and they all get great review for their fresh fish. My favorite would be Frenchy's Rockaway Grill, located directly on the sand at the north end of the beach. This is a lively place with live music and great views.

Palm Pavilion - I prefer the Palm Pavilion to Frenchy's - for their view. The Palm has a very large patio, facing the Guld and is an excellent place to sit and watch the beautiful sunset. This is a very casual place. The beach in front of Frenchy's and the Palm Pavilion is quieter than the main beach are - if you are looking for a more peaceful beach.

Columbia - If you want a place a bit more upscale, head to the Columbia Restaurant just over the bridge in the Shoppes on Sand Key. They serve delicious Cuban food. Inside they have tableclothes - but the patio is more laid back. If you are there at sunset, you will often see the dolphin as they come in for the evening, or the flying fish.

Island Way Grill - This restaurant is a bit more upscale and is in Island Estates. The food here is very good. If you dine early, they have a two for $25.00 menu that is served with salad, main course and small desert. Great value for the money.

Clear Sky Beachside Cafe - The food here is very good for all of their meals. They have great happy hour specials, and they serve a very nice breakfast.

Maggie Mae's - This is located over the bridge at the Shoppes on Sand Key. Breakfast here is very good, and their lunch and supper are the best value in the area. For lunch and supper, their breakfast menu is available or they have a small menu for under $10.00.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

I didn't mention Pier 60. There is a nightly celebration here at sunset with street performers, face painters, balloon animals, hair braiders,and various craft sales.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

Frenchy's Rockaway Grill, and the Palm Pavilion are close to you on north beach. These are very good, fun, casual places with great food and drinks and seating on decks right on the beach. These will be closer to your hotel.

Crabby Bill's has 2 locations. Their BeachWalk location has a nice upstairs open-air seating and bar with great beach views. Great food, and again very casual.

Jimmy's Fish House & Iguana Bar inside the Holiday Inn is another good one. Seating right next to the water.

Gor great Cuban/Spanish food, the Columbia Restaurant on Sand Key. Only place on the beach to get a real, good Cuban Sandwich. Great views of the bay from the Columbia also.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

We just got back and ate at Crabby Bills, Crabby Bills Beachwalk, Cooters, Frenchys Rockaway and Saltwater cafe, Maggie Mays on Sand Key - all were wonderful with the exception of Saltwater cafe (Frenchys) - service was pretty bad that night for some reason. All these places we took our 2 year old with us - all were family friendly (dinner time) and food was great!!

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
106 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

Those are all places that were on my to do list. Out of crabby bills cooters and frenchys rockaway grill, which one would you say was the best?

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

Well honestly all the food was about even - all good. For location though I would pick Rockaway. You just can't beat sitting outside on their ocean front patio & enjoying your meal, and if you can time it out for sunset, even better! Plus my daughter was able to play in sand while we waited. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

If you are limiting it to those three - I would also have to say Frenchy's Rockaway Grill is the best. Sunsets on their patio are amazing. Their She Crab Soup is excellent and if you like key lime pie - theirs is very good. They have their own fishing boats, so the seafood is fresh.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

The Rockaway will almost always be the busiest also. Usually is a wait for a table at busier times, lunch and dinner. But yes, the view is great. Palm Pavilion is next door and most times does not have the long wait, and also has good food, and seating on a deck on the beach like the Rockaway.

Crabby Bill's BeachWalk is also very good. Great sunset views from here also. Best from their upstairs seqating and bar.

Cooters is good, but will not have the view. Very good food, and a fun place though.

No food served, but the 10th floor rooftop open-air bar of the Pier House 60 Hotel also will be a great spot for sunset.

Jimmy's Fish House & Iguana Bar inside the Holiday Inn is often overlooked, but should not be. Good food and seating right next to the water.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best restaurants/things to do in Clearwater

We went to the Pier House bar on a couple occasions when our family kept the little one - amazing views! I loved it. We really enjoyed Crabby Bills Beachwalk - sat upstairs and it was great. Food was a little better than the other one in my opinion too. I regret we didn't go to Jimmy's this time, we did last time and I remember it to be very good!

Too many cool places - too little time!