We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edison and ford winter estates

yorkshire
Level Contributor
502 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Edison and ford winter estates

We are visiting Sand Key in July/August for a month and want to see some of Florida other than Orlando and the beach as we usually do. I noticed the Edison/Ford winter estates as a recommendation on another forum and have looked at the website, it looks such an interesting visit.

My question is, has anyone visited here, what's it like, and does anyone have any tips. Would it be a good plan to go here for most of the day and call back at Fort Desoto for sunset. Or is that not practical at all? I'm guessing the travel time is around 2 hours from Sand Key.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

I haven't been to the Edison/Ford Winter Estates but it is in Fort Myers - like you said, about 2 hours south. Why don't you post on the Fort Myers forum and see if you can get more information, and then you could decide if it is worth the trip.

Have you stayed on Sand Key before? If you are staying in a condo on the Gulf side - it is a great place to watch the sunsets. We have a condo at Crescent Beach Club - and the sunsets from our balcony are amazing. If you don't have a balcony view of the sunset - go sit on the beach at sunset and enjoy - I think you'll find the sunsets there every bit as good as you would at Fort Desoto. If you are staying on the intra-coastal side of Sand Key, there are some walkways between some of the Gulf side condos that you can walk between to get to the beach.

Edited: 6:57 pm, April 23, 2013
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

I haven't been to the Estates either but a friend has and he highly recommended it-hope that helps.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
502 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Thank you for the helpful replies, I think we will definitely go there and call in at St Peter beach for dinner on the way home. We have stayed on SandKey at the Marriott several times, but first time in a condo at Lighthouse Towers. Can't wait!!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
502 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Meant St Pete beach of course!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Lighthouse Towers is lovely. It sits on a semi-private beach - generally very quiet. The sunsets are really lovely from there. Our condo is right beside Lighthouse towers - but faces slightly south while Lighthouse Towers faces slightly north - so I don't know how much of a sunset view you'll get from your balcony. The views from the beach are beautiful - and a great place for walking. Best of all - it's very quiet! Hope you enjoy your stay:)

Edited: 6:57 pm, April 24, 2013
Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

I am staying in Lighthouse Towers right now -it's a lovely block and from our apartment in the middle of the block the sunset is brilliant.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
502 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Hi Sarahms,

The condo number we have rented ends in 06, is that in the middle of the building, and do you have any handy tips and hints please? Good places you have eaten, visited etc.

I also read that Lighthouse Towers has a terrace. Is that a communal area?

I'm very grateful for any and ALL information!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Across the street and about a 5 minute walk north from Lighthouse Towers is a small strip mall. There is a nice Cuban Restaurant in the mall. The Columbia has good food and great views of the intra-coastal from their patio or window tables inside. If you go at dusk you can often see the Dolphins as they come in from the Gulf for the night as well as the flying fish. Ask for a window table if you dine inside.

Maggie Mae's is a small restaurant that serves breakfast and very reasonably priced lunch (under $10.00). It is also in the strip mall. It's sister restaurant - Backwaters is also in the mall and serves good seafood and has a waterfront bar.

There's lots of great dining and beachfront bars just over the beach on Clearwater Beach. If you want to spend an evening and don't want to drive give Florida Free Rides a call. They offer free rides in their open air cart anywhere on Clearwater Beach, Sand Key and Island Estates and just work for tips.

The beachfront restaurant/bars in Clearwater Beach - French's Rockaway Grill, The Palm Pavilion, Jimmy's Fish House and Iguana Bar and Clear Sky Cafe are good choices.

Edited: 12:52 pm, April 30, 2013
Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Hi Tinks - we are in an 05 apartment so would have the exact same as you will have - I assume a one bed??

LOvely, lovely views of the gulf and looking up to Clearwater Beach and Pier 60. Just this morning we saw some dolphins and all day the sting rays have been going up and down the shoreline - really fun to wach them - they seem to race each other and really cloe in as well.

There is a deck with a pool and spa (the spa is closed at the moment for refurb) and there are some works going on on the building as a whole but these haven't disturbed us.

Its all really well kept and everyone says hello!

There are security guards at the gate but you will have a proximity card to get in and out. Only thing I would check is when you first arive you need a code to get into the building - the one we had was just for the apartment front door so we struggled for a while to work it out. Luckily a resident came along so once we were in the lobby we could get in the lift and get in the apartment. But it might be worth double checking with the owners about the code for the downstairs lobby (by the way its under the garage area)

The apartments are a lovely size and both the lounge and bedroom windows look out at the Gulf -perfect. Our kitchen window can just about see the intercoastal way but the 06's probably can't - not really an issue its the gulf you really want to see!!

Been to all 3 places over the road that Lifesabeach86 has mentioned. Backwaters very nice and extremely good value. Maggie Maes -had a great burger and fried shrimp there. Columbia was very, very nice - we had a window seat and did watch the birds diving for fish - no dolphins that evening though.

Have also tried Clear Sky Cafe for LObster Benedict for brunch - again lovely.

You will love it here - if you have any specific questions about Lighthouse let me know!

Sarah

yorkshire
Level Contributor
502 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edison and ford winter estates

Hi Sarahms, thanks for the information! We are in a 2 bed condo, and I think it just has a balcony from the bedroom, but not the lounge? Can you shed any light on that? It's hard to see in the photos on home away!

Also, can you get pizza delivered, or do you have to come to gate and get it? Just thinking of security and entering the property...

We are on countdown now - 74 days, woohoo! We are a month in sand key then up to stay at Hard Rock in Orlando for last 4 days, to get a Universal fix before home! Can't wait!!