We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearwater beach without a car

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Clearwater beach without a car

We are looking at a long weekend in April to visit Clearwater Beach. We don't want to rent a car. Any recommendations for where to stay, preferably on the beach, and walking distance to restaurants and low key spots for drinks? Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
496 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearwater beach without a car

We just booked a trip and won't have a car either. We decided on the Sandpearl.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearwater beach without a car

Very easy to get by without a car on CB. Very walkable area. The Hilton is right in the heart of it all, and is directly on the beach. The Pier House 60 Hotel is right by the Hilton, but is across the street from the beach. It is a little lower in cost, and still a great area. The Travelodge is even less costly.

For good food and drinks, check out Crabby Bill's BeachWalk. Upstairs open-air bar and seating with great views. The roof top bar of the Pier House 60 Hotel has great views of the entire beach area. No food there, but a nice spot for drinks with the view.

Any of the 4 Frenchy's Restaurants are very good. The Palm Pavilion and Frenchy's Rockaway Grill are next to each other and have outdoor seating on decks right on the beach. Great places for watching the sunset with good food and drinks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearwater beach without a car

Clearwater Beach is lovely - so I'm sure you will have a wonderful visit. There's quite a price range of places to stay on the beach, so I've listed my recommendations.

High end would the Sandpearl. This is a beautfful newer resort, located right on the beach, and they know how to treat their guests well. It is located just north of the busiest part of the beach, so is a bit quieter. They have rooms that face the Gulf of Mexico and the lovely sunsets, a lovely beach bar, as well as chairs and umbrellas on the beach. If you are interested in this hotel - check out their iprefer loyalty program. It is free to join, and will give you cheaper hotel rates, as well as some discounts at the hotel.

The Hyatt is also high end and a lovely new hotel. This hotel is just across the street from the beach. If you want to be in the heart of the action - this is the place to be. The rooms all have kitchenettes and it is an all suite hotel. The Shor restaurant here has very good food. Both the Sandpearl and the Hyatt charge resort and parking fees in addition to their room fees.

The HIlton is a midrange hotel. It is also right on the beach and right by Pier 60. It is an older hotel, and not at the standard of some of the other HIlton hotels - but the location can't be beat and it is more reasonably priced than the Sandpearl and Hyatt. There are also extra fees at this hotel.

My favorite reasonably priced hotel on the beach would be the Palm Pavillion. It is located on the quiet north end of the beach and has a lovely restaurant/bar that sits right on the beach with a huge patio that you can sit and watch the sunsets over the beach and the Gulf of Mexico. This is an older art deco hotel that is kept immaculately clean and upgraded. The rooms are small, and there is no elevator in the hotel - but the location and price can't be beat, and there are no resort fees or parking fees. Across the parking lot is Frenchy's Rockaway Grill - another nice beachfront restaurant and bar. Everything in Clearwater Beach is walkable, and Pier 60 would be about a 7 to 10 minute walk.

The Pier House 60 is a new hotel that is a few blocks off the beach, but right near Pier 60 and right in the heart of everything. This hotel is moderately priced, and well appointed. If you stay here - check out their rooftop bar.

The Holiday Inn is to the south of the main beach. It is another moderately priced hotel. It is located right on the water, but there is a seawall in front of it - not beach. This hotel has balconies facing the water - so you could sit out on your balcony and watch the sunsets. Jimmy's Fish House and Iguana Bar is located in this hotel. The restaurant/bar sits right on the water - and is a beautiful place to watch a sunset - and the food is very nice. This hotel is a short walk to the beach and Pier 60.

You mentioned you didn't want to rent a car. Clearwater Beach is very walkable - but if you wanted to head to the other end of the beach, to the aquarium, to Island Way Grill, or The Columbia Restaurant on Sand Key, check out Florida Free Rides. They provide free rides anywhere on Clearwater Beach, Island Estates and Sand Key from 9 am to 3 am - but tips are greatly appreciated. Call 727-424-5458 to reserve a ride. http://www.floridafreerides.com

Hope this information helps. Have a wonderful trip :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
551 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearwater beach without a car

The Sand pearl is an amazing hotel (not cheap but worth it if you can swing it). Its my favorite place to stay when I go down there. I try to go every April. The have a zero entry pool which is great for young kids. Tate's (there beach side restaurant) makes great frozen drinks while your laying out enjoying the sun. The ocean is usually on the calm side so its nice to swim or jump on some jet ski's. The Hyatt is very nice new hotel on the north beach side of the beach. It has amazing views from the pool deck area and is located across the street from the beach. I have not stayed there but I am sure is it very nice as well. It is very easy to walk around CWB and the have the trolley bus running around all day. Dont miss a nice out door diner at Island Way Grill.

5. Re: Clearwater beach without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014