We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clearwater from st. pete beach?????

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
clearwater from st. pete beach?????

My husband and I are staying at St.Pete beach for 4 nights in May. How long of a drive is it to Clearwater? Is parking expensive?? Any reasonably priced restaurant recommendations in Clearwater (not seafood-we are from Maine and eat a lot of it here!)? How is the shopping? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks :)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clearwater from st. pete beach?????

Mile wise, probably 20 or so miles. If you take Gulf Blvd, can take well over an hour as most of it is single laned with 30mph speed limit. Parking is like $10 per day in the two public beach lots, but if you go on a weekend you can probably forget finding a spot if you go late in the morning. One option we like is to park at Sand Key Park (about 2 miles south of Clw beach), it has metered spots, and take the Jolley Trolley up into Clearwater. Shephards has a large parking garage, not sure what it'll cost you to park there.

As for a good restaurant, try Salt Rock Grill on Indian Shores. Will be on your right hand side as you're driving north from St Pete Bch into Clearwater. Great food (seafood too!!), awesome steaks, chops, etc. Dinner for two with drinks should be around $70 or so depending on what you eat, appetizers, etc.

Shopping? Lots of little shops all up and down Gulf Blvd, depends on what you're looking to buy. Clearwater Beach has all the t-shirt shops, shells, FL items you'll want. A good mall to visit is International Plaza in Tampa, has some great restaurants there too.

Hope that helps a bit!!

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clearwater from st. pete beach?????

Thanks for the info. We will be going in the middle of the week so hopefully parking wont be a problem. I will check out the restaurant-sounds pretty reasonable. Any quick lunch spots to try? Thanks again!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clearwater from st. pete beach?????

There must be literally a thousand lunch spots all along Gulf Blvd from St. Pete up into Clearwater. Kind of a neat place to check out is John's Pass in Treasure Island. One side is a huge restaurant, Gators (yes, after our favorite Florida team). It's three levels, lots of outside eating, casual and decent food and a beautiful view. Across the bridge on the other side is John's Pass Boardwalk. They're building a parking garage so it might be tight if it's not open. A few nice restaurants in there, all with nice lunch menus. Lots of little shops to stroll around through, eat some ice cream, feed the pelicans, things like that. Best part is when you park at one you can just walk over the bridge to the other side (I think you can still make the walk...they're working on the bridge too) and visit there. And if you hit either around 7pm you'll get a great sunset and some dolphin watching when the follow the gambling ships out to sea.

Other than that, as you drive, just pick a place and pull in. Most are small and quaint and have at least an awesome grouper sandwich and a cold beer.