We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in St. Pete

Rochestesr
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling in St. Pete

We were wondering how the snorkeling was in St. Pete, and if we would need wet suites for colder water. Our family will be visiting during the week of March 16th. Any information would be helpful.

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in St. Pete

You might check Dive St. Pete and www.divestpete.com. We haven't gone there but our experiences on our own have been poor.

We've tried snorkeling in Clearwater but never had any luck - not enough visibility. Our kids had better luck (saw a tang) but I think it was where we were going. Caladesi/Honeymoon Island advertises snorkeling (that's north of Clearwater, just barely) as does Egmont Key (south of St. Pete). You can catch a ferry to Egmont Key from Fort DeSoto although I think it is kind of pricy at around $30 a piece. There are also some tour boats that will take you out on snorkeling adventures. That might be the best way since they will know the best spots to go. I think our problem was going to a sandy beach area where other people were kicking up sand. I am sure that Dive St. Pete could tell you.

As to wet suits, it depends on your tolerance. The water temps for the Gulf can be found at the National Oceanographic Data Center at http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html