We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

I will be visiting older relatives for a week in late April, and an contemplating spending a day away from the relatives on Clearwater Beach.

I would like to bring a few brewski's along, if that's not illegal. I know that glass containers are prohibited. Would it be OK if I took a small cooler, few cans of beer on ice, and discreetly poured the beer in to a large plastic (opaque) container for quiet consumption?

Keep in mind, I'm very quiet, and would be just reading a book by myself & enjoying the sun, not playing music or making any sort of a scene.

Is this OK, or am I asking for trouble? Appreciate your thoughts; thanks!

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
855 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

Everytime my husband and I visit Clearwater Beach we usually have drinks on the beach, but we do keep it in cups and are generally quiet ourselves. I have never had anyone question it. I think it is illegal though, but like I said, no problems for us! =)

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

Thanks for your thoughts! Anyone else care to share their experiences?

Thanks again,

Ed

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

Disclaimer >> While it is not legal <<, I have done what you are describing with no problem. I really don't think anyone is going to come search your cooler if you are being discreet, and not giving them a reason to, like being loud, obviously drunk, harrassing people etc. No glass.

I think if you are acting normally, and a cop/guard just happens to notice what you are up to, they would probably just make you pour it out into a garbage can, or take it back to your hotel...

New Y ork
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

I have taken beer on the beach too, I usually take cans and I put it in a koozie so you can't even really see what it is and have never run into a problem

Cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

We were in Clearwater Beach during Spring Break where I saw college guys walking on the beach carrying a 12 pack and holding an open container of beer. I didn't see them stopped by anyone. I did question a traffic police officer about the open container law and she told me that as long as you are discreet and not rowdy, no one is going to say anything to you. People all around us were drinking and it really is refreshing to have a beer while sitting in the sun on the beach!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

We were not quite as discreet as we should have been once and the most they did was make us open up all the beer and pour them out. I think that hurt worse than a citation! Anyway, as long as you're being cool about it, it should be ok. But just be warned that it is illegal and you can get in trouble.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

I was on Clearwater Beach last year and there were police officers on quad bikes. They were making people pour their beers away. One guy had hidden some and when he thought the cops werent looking cracked a can open. He was promptly frog marched off the beach and told not to return!

8. Re: Beer Allowed on Clearwater Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 20, 2009