We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

Will be in CB from 5/28-6/4/05... looking for places to do some blue crabbing from shore or pier...when I lived in Baltimore we called it chicken-necking! Alternately, any good places to buy blue crabs to steam back at my condo? I am staying in far north Clearwater Beach.

Michigan
Level Contributor
148 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

We were at the Clearwater Beach Marina on 5/13/05. An older gentlemen there, picking up fish carcuses, said he was getting them for his crab traps and that the season ended 5/22/05. I don't know if he was talking about blue crabs or not. If you walk around the Clearwater Beach Marina in the a.m., you may find some charter boat or a boat owner to take you out, however, all we saw were fishing charters - no mention of crabbing. There is a pier called Pier 60. There is public fishing there for about $16 (rod rental & adult entrance). We went there 3 times and saw no crabbing. As for places to buy blue crabs, you might want to try the "Publics" grocery store that is located by the Clearwater Beach Aquarium. They had an excellent variety all types of groceries.

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

Sledrider - thanks. Bet he was going for stone crabs - where you catch them; take one claw; and then throw 'em back...the claw regenerates I think! I am looking for a quiet place to drop in a chicken neck and grab with a 5 dollar net. Like one of those little mean blue crabs we have in the Chesapeake Bay. Looking for an"Otis Redding experience" - sittin' by the dock on the bay....etc. this will be the one year anniversary since I lost my dad and he would love to see his daughter catchin crabs to mark the date.

Palm Harbor, FL
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

I live in the area and I just don't see people chicken-necking. There are plenty of crab traps in the water so I know the crabs are out there. We tried chicken-necking a few times in a couple of different locations in the area and had no luck with it -although we didn't try out on Clearwater Beach. Maybe there's an old timer out there who knows a good location for this? I would certainly be interested myself. When I was younger I used to see people doing this fairly regularly - but that was a long time ago! :)

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

ok, I have to ask......what is chicken-necking. Is it just a nick name for digging for crab?

Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

Chicken-necking:

Tie a chicken neck onto a long string and let it into the water to rest on the bottom. Watch for the crabs holding onto the chicken neck and then ever so gently pull up the neck and crab. Carefully put the net in the water and under the crab(ds) holding onto the neck to catch them in case they decide to drop off...Gotcha!

Repeat the process...

That's chicken-neckin'

Clearwater,Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

HHHAAAA HAAAAA!!!!! Boy you must need to have a lot of time an patience to do that! That must be very relaxing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crabbing "chicken-necking" from shore in Clearwater Beach...

We used to do that a little north of Clearwater at Crystal Beach. But that was years ago. I don't know how successful you'd be at it now.