We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearwater or Dunedin?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Clearwater or Dunedin?

Hello,

My husband and I are considering buying a house and moving to Clearwater or Dunedin. We don't know the area well but have heard great things about both. Neither of us need to be right on the beach but one of us likes to walk or bike to coffeeshops, restaurants and grocery stores and the other likes it off the beaten track and slightly secluded. We are happy to meet in the middle. Any thoughts?

We are also considering buying the house and renting it for a year or two before moving. Are the nicer homes easy to rent? What impact will the new Dunedin-Clearwater Beach ferry have on either area?

Thank you in advance!

Peter

9 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

This is for travel info. Go to City data for moving info.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

Thanks very much!

Peter

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
548 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

Dunedin would be my choice

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

for the items you've listed, Dunedin is the better choice.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

Don’t eliminate Palm Harbor or even Tarpon as well. PH has many of the things you list along with a couple good breweries along Alt 19.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

We just had some friends move to Dunedin from Poughkeepsie, they looked all around this area, including places like New Port Richey. We took them to Dunedin for dinner one night and they loved the area. They bought a 4 bed pool house in Trails West and moved in 3 months ago. They absolutely love it, the house, the area, the proximity to Honeymoon Island, the friendliness of the local town and its people.

It would be Dunedin for me I have to say, though Clearwater would probably be better from the rental aspect.

Oslo
Level Contributor
865 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

One I would come down and visit and find the vibe you are looking for. Dunedin is quieter has a nice marina and downtown with shops and restaurants. CWB is busier. If anywhere on CWB I would recommend North Beach on CWB.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
343 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

Have you gone down there and really spent some time on the southwest coast of Florida. If you loved Dunedin, go a bit further south and check out Venice and Nokomis. Give it all a good look - there are lots of really nice, beach-front communiites between Dunedin and Naples that are worth a look.

P.S. hubby and I are considering doing the same thing - buying a home down there a few years before retirement, renting it out, and then moving in upon retirement.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clearwater or Dunedin?

The problem with Dunedin and Clearwater is that they are not connected to the rest of Florida by highway. It takes 20-30 minutes to go anywhere east, so you are kind of isolated. Clearwater does have a world class beach, but not so much for Dunedin. I'd look at St Pete Beach, Isla Del Sol, and Tierra Verde which are minutes from the highway. You can drive to the nightlife in downtown St Petersburg in 12 minutes, the airport or International Mall in Tampa in 25, Bradenton in 30 and Sarasota in 40...

Edited: 1:31 pm, September 12, 2018
Reply to: Clearwater or Dunedin?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clearwater