We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red tide

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Red tide

We are visiting Clearwater sept 1-6, 2018. What is the red tide looking like?

13 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
476 posts
1. Re: Red tide

Check one the million other posts on the topic.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Red tide

Wow. So helpful. Thought maybe someone who lives in Clearwater would know what it has been like. Do you live there?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Red tide

Check out the other threads-there are links to give you up to date info.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Red tide

No red tide at present. Follow Mote Marine Lab daily beach reports: visitbeaches.org

Unfortunately, this particular red tide bloom has lasted almost 10 months. No one can predict how long it will last or if it will move up the coast. The loop current generally doesn't favor that movement, but it has happened in the past.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
55 posts
5. Re: Red tide

A family member called the state and they believe it will be in the Clearwater area in the next week or so. That is speculation on their part, so fingers crossed.

Edited: 3:25 pm, August 06, 2018
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
6. Re: Red tide

Hi did you go to Clearwater Beach? I am planning to go in a month or two which of course is totally unpredictable. Was there any red tide when you were there

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Red tide

There isn't any red tide in Clearwater Beach.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Red tide

Red tide has not been a factor on any of the Pinellas County beaches. No one can predict movement, severity or direction. Even in the southern counties, the counts have been dropping.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Red tide

Sally (OP), How was your trip?

All set to spend the week Sept 11-17 at Fort De Soto and Pass-A-Grille and Caledesi with the dog but now I am hesitant to put her in harms way.

Should I cancel my beach vacation?

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Red tide

Wondering the same...we are due to come at the end of September. As of today, MOTE was reporting some dead fish, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Pinellas County is spared the worst of it, and hope that some real change can happen for SW Florida to prevent this tragedy from happening again.

Reply to: Red tide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted