We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft. De Soto Park

Ashburn VA
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Ft. De Soto Park

Heard great things--but it looks pretty big. What's the best spot to pick for a day with a four year old? Don't want to be leaving the park and realize we would have been happier setting up somewhere else for the day.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft. De Soto Park

Take a drive around before you settle down to a spot. I would look for one with picnic tables in the shade and near the restrooms. In fact we stopped at such a place but I cannot describe exactly where it was. I believe right at the very end of the park there is also such a location, but from what I remember of that one, you couldn't see the water from there.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft. De Soto Park

Check out this web site - www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

The North Beach is the area where there are many shelters and restroom facilities. The park has other things you may want to visit also like the fort. I think a 4 year old would think the canons are neat, There are 2 piers the Gulf side and Bay side - interesting to see what people are catching the day you visit. The East Beach gives a good view of the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

Tampa
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft. De Soto Park

Glad to see you are visiting this park. In my opinoion Ft DeSoto is the best park in the nation - and I've been to a great deal of them. I have many happy memories both camping and day-visiting the park. I agree with earlier poster, definitely visit the fort.

For anyone else visiting this forum, this is the best park in Pinellas W Central FL to camp. Clean restrooms, private sites, really fun.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ft. De Soto Park

Does anyone know how bad the crowds will be on Memorial Day? We were originally going to Clearwater Beach but wanted something less crowded. I've heard Fort Desoto isn' t too crowded but wasn't sure if that were true on that day.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ft. De Soto Park

My friends and I go to Ft. DeSoto every year on Memorial Day. Usually the crowds are not bad. They get there early to get a picnic table in a prime location. I think it's a great place to spend Memorial Day. Enjoy

6. Re: Ft. De Soto Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 31, 2009