We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar key beaches/hotels?

Which Cedar Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Cedar key beaches/hotels?

We are thinking about spending a couple of days in Cedar Key before heading on to the Orlando area. Our goal is to spend a couple days enjoying the beach/ocean before going inland. We have been to St. Augustine Beach, our kids loved swimming in the ocean and using thier boogey boards. Do any of the hotels have beaches? Would you recommend Cedar Key as a place to enjoy the ocean? Any other reccomendations? We dont mind if they are off the beaten path. Thanks

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar key beaches/hotels?

TennesseeOcean, I think you may have a misconception of what Cedar Key is like, a lot of people do. First, I love Cedar Key, it is one of my favorite places in Florida but it is a laid back "fishing village", it is not beachy like St. Augustine beach. Knowing that, it is a key surrounded by water, you can rent a boat and go out to several secluded little islands that have beaches. The only real "beach" is along the city park but it really is no more than the shore line and you certainly couldnt use a boogey board. I suggest you go on line to www.cedarkeychamberofcommerce.com and take a look at the area, there is also a list of accomodations, we love the Habour Master Suites, they are right on Dock Street and sit on plilings "in the water", very neat. Also, check out The Island Place, they are condo type units with balconies and there is a littel sandy area in front and a pool. If what you want is a great beach, Cedar Key is not it but there are lots of other things to do like fishing, bike riding, renting canoes, etc, more nature things. If that is not appealing to you I would suggest you go further north and check out Mexico Beach, it is one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida with soft white sand and awesome water.

Talking Rock,Ga
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar key beaches/hotels?

Cedar Key isn't anything like St. Augustine, except maybe for the tours. There are several shops, and restaurants, but the public beach is more flats/grass land. There are air boat backwater tours that I bet your kids would enjoy, mine loved it. It is more an artists haven/quiet fishing village that seems set in the '60's. There are several good restaurants if you decide to go, and you can take a horse drawn carriage tour of the island to get some history. We were looking for a "Get Away" from the current Florida hustle and bustle vacations, and made a day trip out to Cedar Key while staying in a town south of there called Inglis. It was one of our most relaxing vacations we have ever had.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar key beaches/hotels?

Cedar key is nothing like st. augustine, clearwater or daytona. In fact I wouldn't recommend it for swimming at all. If you like to fish it's a good place but you have to know the waters, otherwise you might end up sitting on an oyster bar or sand bar. The water there is dark brown and mostly muddy. It's great for the critters that live in the water but not what you might be looking for if you wanting to find a beach to sit at all day and swim.

I would head south for that and visit the clearwater area. The panhandle is also a great place.

4. Re: Cedar key beaches/hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 27, 2009