We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

Which Cedar Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

We live just outside of Greenville SC. We have two "kids" in their early 20s. Everything about Cedar Key sounds like a slice of heaven! We know we probably don't have many more years of family vacations. So we wanted to know if there are any near by places that our kids (and possibly some friends that come along) can go out to? "Party" is how I guess they would put it.

Also, we have never seen the Gulf. All the beach pictures I've seen don't have people on them. We are used to seeing large crowded busy beaches. Are the beaches not really an attraction on Cedar Key?

Thanks for any and all imput!

Christy

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

No, from what I saw when we were there, its waterfront but not beachfront. There are several restaurants / bars type places and a few shops. Very small town. The kids could drive over to Ocala but thats about an hours drive. I would head either further north to Destin or Panhandle or further south to Clearwater / St. Pete Beach.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

Cedar Key is a sleepy, very small, fairly remote town. It is an area known more for fishing than for beaches, since the surrounding coastal areas are, more or less, mud flats, not a sandy beach area.

This is NOT the place to go for the vacation brochure view of white sand beaches. If you want white sand beaches, go to Panama City Beach on the panhandle or Clearwater Beach on the west coast; both of these areas will have plenty of activities for the young adults in your group.

Cedar Key is ok for a day trip, but there is really not much to do.

Do your children a favor and choose another location for a family vacation destination.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

We've been visiting Cedar Key once a year since around 2000. We go there precisely because there is 'nothing' to do. We like to use the bbq grill, sit on the patio, visit the cemetery, walk our dogs, eat out sometimes, pizza in other times, and watch the beautiful sunsets. So the above posts are an honest assessment of this nice, small town. The shore is somewhat 'brackish' not a true beach directly off the ocean as you might prefer. The attraction is, there is no 'attraction'. LOL.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

I totally agree with the above comments. I like to ride my bike around Cedar Key and spend time taking photographs of birds and other wildlife, but it's certainly not what most visitors are looking for when they plan a trip to the Florida Beaches. It's a lovely little town, but I would imagine you'd be disappointed if you came here thinking your young adult children would have a place to party, along with white, sandy beaches. Most visitors here like to fish. Kayaking is also a growing attraction. No real beaches, just beautiful mudflats and mangroves.

Plus, it's really too far to drive to Ocala or Gainesville for a night of fun, in my opinion. The road east of Cedar Key is two lanes, through the pinewoods and herds of deer graze on the side of the road beginning at dusk. I'm always afraid I'm going to run into one.

And to Travelnutty, it's also a long way from Paris ;-)

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

You're at least an hour from anything that could be described as "party" scenarios, down a lonnnnnng dark rural highway. I'm guessing your "kids" would be hating life if they thought they were going on a beach vacation & ended up at Cedar Key.

Cedar Key is for fishing & sitting in a deck chair reading for hours on end & spending an hour browsing the shops & eating seafood...and not much else. Lovely & relaxing, but NOT a typical beach vacation.

ybor city
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

Kids? Lol.

There is a bar, trails, treasure, wildlife, ruins, historical landmarks, and not many people. If that sounds boring tell em they suck, or they could head to Gainesville, ybor city or Tallahassee.

7. Re: What/Where for kids in their early 20's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, April 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key