We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries

Hi. Planning first trip to Cedar Key in a few weeks, and wondering where to pick up a few things for breakfast and snacks. Also, will head for Ocala first, to visit a new grandson, then over from there. Any advice on routes to take/avoid?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries

Hey Kris,fancy seeing you on this board. Are you going for the Seafood Festival on the 17th and 18th? We go every year and take part in the parade. We've won 1st place for the last two years. You can see us at www.crabcrew.com

There is a little grocery store there, it's really kinda neat, reminds me of the old IGA market on AMI. They have a little meat market, produce, snacks and beer & wine. It is a little expensive but I like giving my money to the local business.

We love Cedar Key, it is so laid back and beautiful. Make sure you eat at the Island Hotel, they have the best grouper sandwich and "special" grits on the island, Jan is the chef and she is amazing. Blue Desert is also good but prepared to wait, they make everything fresh.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries

Sounds good. I know when the seafood festival is, but decided for a first visit to go when it's quieter. Not to mention my birthday is the 10th of October, so will be celebrating that. Actually thinking of the Island Hotel for the birthday dinner. Maybe next year, once we know the lay of the land, we will put off the birthday weekend for a week or so and come up for the festival. By the way, I remember the AMI IGA well--they had some really great key lime pie. Just looking for breakfast stuff, beer and wine, and a few snacks, so that should work. Staying at Nature's Landing--sounds good, and have pool and hot tub.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries

Kris - You will have a great time and will want to return. I would also suggest to rent a golf cart, they are cheap and fun to explore the island.

Make sure you visit the Cedar Key State Park, it has an old primitive house to tour, some exhibits and the care taker is a character. They have bricks that you can purchase going up to the old house, look for ours, we have three, the crab crew. We joke that we own property in Cedar Key.

We always stay at the Harbour Master Suite, right on Dock Street and it is a lot of fun. Frogs Landing has really good burgers and a wonderful "Shrimp pie". Check out the music there and Captain's Landing.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries

Thanks! Really looking forward to it, and will check out all your suggestions.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries

We're heading over for the Seafood Festival weekend again this year. We usually try to bring our own groceries, as we cook most of our meals, but the little grocery store is good in case you forget anything, or just need a few items like you said. It's a little bigger than the size of a Jiffy (or gas station store), but they do have the best deal on fresh clams (if they have them), and stone crab (in season) and their price on shrimp and other seafood is good, and you know it's fresh. There is also Robinson's Seafood on 24 before you get into town. They sell seafood too oh and mullet dip, and we always have to remember to stop on our way in to Cedar Key because there's no other reason to drive that far out of town unless you're leaving.

And there's another place we've got on our list for this trip - it's around the corner from the grocery. They have sandwiches and sell fruit and veggies and sometimes have the BEST salsa you've ever tasted.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries

Thanks! Great suggestions.

7. Re: Groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations