We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Cape Coral have a city center?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Does Cape Coral have a city center?

Hello.

We have been to Florida several times in the last years and stayed mostly in the Naples and Venice areas. We liked it very much but this year we will go with some friends incl. their (young) children and therefore we thought about getting a larger house in cape coral.

I understand that this choice would mean to be far away from beaches but I think that the watersports experince might cover our needs too. But one question remains for me and especially my wife: Does cape coral have a city center or something similar? The reason for the question is that we liked 5th street in Naples and the town center of naples and we drove through Cape coral and could not find a kind of city center. I am aware that it is not easy to compare those two but I would be glad for a hint what to expect. Do you see other selling points for Cape coral? :-)

Additional question: We enjoy jetskiing very much but renting them on an houlry basis seems to be very expensive. Do you know houses that have jetskis included or for an additional rent?

Thanks a lot for your input!

PA
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Cape Coral have a city center?

Cape Coral has a small downtown, South Cape area. It's nothing like Naples. It has a CVS, Walmart, Auto/Gas Stations, a grocery store, a bunch of pizza places, bars and restaurants, a hotel or two, a Perkins, fast food, a few stores (clothes/furniture/etc.), small strip shopping centers. No good shopping. It is a bit old and not very appealing to the eye. Many empty/vacant offices/buildings. Most places close very early at night and many are not open on Sunday or Monday. It is a walkable area. Spread out throughout Cape Coral you will find some other streets that have stores/restaurants but again, nothing upscale/ unusual.

As far as watersports/jet skiing, I'm not sure what you are saying/asking. If you want watersports, you need to go/stay in Bonita Springs or Ft. Myers Beach. If you found a house with jet skis it would probably be a hassle anyway.

I'd suggest looking for somewhere else (to stay) if you are looking for watersports. Don't let the canal system mislead you.

Also, look into Punta Gorda. It has a nice city center, another shopping area on the water (I think it's called Fishermen's Village)and I believe decent watersport options. The only problem with Punta Gorda is the beaches will be a longer drive

Albia, Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Cape Coral have a city center?

You can always stay in Cape Coral and just drive to Fort Myers Beach for your fun. It's not that far. Then you could have your relaxing big house, probably with a nice pool..and quiet. (This is what we do.)

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
881 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Cape Coral have a city center?

If you're staying in Cape Coral to save money, there is a reason it is cheaper. You are going to have to drive to do anything. Cape Coral is one of the largest cities land wise in Florida (spread out). You will also have to pay tolls every time you leave Cape Coral if you want to go to the beach or Ft. Myers. I lived in both Cape Coral and Naples, they are like day and night you can't compare the two.

Good luck in your decision, have a great trip!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Cape Coral have a city center?

Thanks for your help. This clears up a few things. I think we will stay in Naples again unless we will have a family vacation with lots of people so the house is more important than the location. Again thanks for the help.

PA
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Cape Coral have a city center?

Good decision!!! i wouldn't recommend Cape Coral for a vacation home base. I think you would have been disappointed. It is not cheap here, the hotels and food in the Publix and Sweetbay are overpriced for Cape Coral. The restaurants are not good, they are overpriced and dirty. You will have many other choices of activities and conveniences in the Naples area.

Have a great time!!

6. Re: Does Cape Coral have a city center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, July 09, 2013