We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a trip, a few questions

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
planning a trip, a few questions

We've been to Fort Lauderdale and are looking at Cape Coral for next vacation. What is the downtown/restaurant area and are there water taxis? Must do/things to avoid?

Thanks for any info,

April

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

Do you realise that there are no beaches there? I just mention this as your last FL visit was to a beach area. CC has lots of boating opportunities though. Beaches will be at least 30-45 mons drive away.

I have not heard of any water taxis, but there is a marina complex with boat tours.

Central NY
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

Cape Coral is more of a retirement community than a vacation spot. Try Sanibel Island or Captiva.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

we're just looking to get away from winter for a couple of weeks in Feb. Doing a Cuban all-inclusive in April, so we're not too concerned about proximity to the beach. Want to rent a home with a pool, be able to go for walks, a few nice dinners, some sight seeing without having to deal with too many spring breakers.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

then CC might suit you.

But if you want to be 15 mins from a beach (for sunset, strolling, collecting shark's teeth, shells etc) try Rotonda instead. Same lower prices, same type of pool homes. No Boat access to t he sea (which you didn't ask for) but closer to the beaches.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

Sounds like Cape Coral would fit your needs... very quiet, safe, with some nice restaurants.

Stick to the SW or SE quarters and you have the downtown and marina areas available to you. And yes there is a small beach near the Yacht club with a fishing pier which provides an opportunity for a stroll or a couple of hours in the sun. The Joint and Rumrunners restaurants to visit in Cape Harbor and of course you still have the choice of beaches on the islands. We used a boat tour on Pine Island to visit Cabbage Key and a few of the other islands.

Availability may be limited though as February is a busy month for rentals. If you need any further advice PM me.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

I did not mention that small man made beach as it isn't a 'real beach'. Like the one in Charlotte harbour it is man made.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

Thanks amanx. Normally, include 'man-made' in my description but forgot this time. However, as I said its nice for a stroll or for a couple of hours if you dont want to travel to Fort Myers Beach (FMB) or Sanibel/Captiva... which are not too far anyway, if you want to go for a day on the beach.

Your area is great for beaches and thanks for the prompt for our vacation last year, we enjoyed our day at Boca Grande, but I think both areas have their relative merits.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

We have visited Cape Coral many times and did not know that the beach is man made. It is a perfectly good and convenient beach for homes in South East Cape Coral.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

We have visited Cape Coral many times and did not know that the beach is man made. It is a perfectly good and convenient beach for homes in South East Cape Coral.

10. Re: planning a trip, a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Cape Coral
Recent Conversations