We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

somerset UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

Is this a good time to go?

Hoping to visit 1st or 2nd week in October for 2 weeks.

Also, I have found a villa on the " Little Canal" which claims to be in walking distance from Del Prado Blvd. Is this a good area to be in?

Apart from fish, what other wildlife are we likely to come across on the canal?

Any help would be appreciated for this 1st timer

Thanx

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

Del Prado Blvd is the main North South road through Cape Coral. The canals are man made and are actually only for boat access. It will be murky water and not anything to look at. If there are fish, it would probably be catfish. If you're thinking alligators you'll be disappointed. LOL.

October is an excellent time to visit. The oppressive Summer heat and humidity would be almost gone.

There was one bit of wildlife I saw in that area for the first time, in fact I didn't even know such an animal existed. It is called a burrowing owl - lives in a hole in the ground and is a protected species. If you're interested in that let me know I will get the exact location of it.

You would probably want to go to Ft. Myers Beach but you would need a car.

somerset UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like we have picked a decent area to stay. We will have a car and intend to travel about a bit but I like the idea of being in walking distance to shops and restaurants which we can use in the evenings without worrying about driving and as one of the drivers, I can have a drink!

The villa we want has a docking area and we wanted to fish off of it. As long as there is something swimming around down there, my 2 teenagers will be happy!

We usually holiday in WDW but fancied a change and slower pace

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

Hi I have bumped my guide for UK visitors to the front page. I think that there is some info on there that would be useful.

We will be out there in October, at half term, which is unusal for us we are normally easter, summer and christmas visitors.

I dont know the exact location you refer to, but anywhere near Del Prado will give good access to Fort Myers and the surrounding beaches without too much driving.

somerset UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

Thanks for that. I have read your post and found it really useful.

I'd be interested to know how you get on visiting in October.

I looked at loads of villas to rent and am glad to know I have picked one in a decent area. Last thing I want is to be in the middle of nowhere and have to drive everytime we want to eat!!

Rising Sun, IN
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

WE own a vacation rental villa (Cape Escape)on Dorade Canal (39th Terrace) in SW Cape area. We've been told there are alligators in the canal by a neighbor though we've never seen any signs of them below our seawall. We did however, see two otters playing in the canal as we were sitting on our dock a few weeks ago! It was really a neat setting and some of our renters have seen them too. Lots of ducks too. Canal homes are are wonderful vacation setting.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
497 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

the reason there are so many rentals is because Cape Coral is one of the hardest hit cities in the US. No I am not exaggerating. I lived there for 20 yrs and my son and his family still do. The place is a ghost town.

It was a lovely place to live. But many illegals and new commers got caught on the realestate bubble, and got involved in those bad mortagages. Very sad.

So now they sneek into vacant homes and light fires or fire up old left behind grills, it's a mess.

there are some beautiful homes in the Cape, and if you are within walking dostance to Delprado, I am wondering where that could be?? that would be a good area. Cape coral has aboutm 800 little canals. So thats not helpful.

In the winter you can see manatees in the salt water canals, there are alligators but you won't see them until it's to late. DO NOT SWIM IN THOSE CANALS!

you can sometimes see shark swiming off the boadwalk at the yacht club. Back by the Marina. The pool there is nice.

also there are parts of Del Prado that you wouldn't want to be in walking distance of. and when you say villa, do you mean apartment, townhouse or single family home?

If you can give me the address I can tell you for sure.

7. Re: Cape Coral in October? Also Q about location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cape Coral