We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Launch viewing on 22th of May

Postojna
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Launch viewing on 22th of May

Hello,

I will be on cocoa beach on that day and I am thinking of going near or to NASA launch area to see launch.

It will be on 22th May:

http://www.spacecoastlaunches.com/

Can anyone recomend me the best way to see launch?

Thank you

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

The Delta 4 launch on May 22 has a launch window from 8:26 until 8:58 p.m., which is after the KSC visitors' complex has closed. It is also soon after sunset. Although it will not be completely dark at 8:26, I would recommend watching from a location near the ocean or a lagoon, as the blast flame is usually reflected on the water.

Some possible viewing locations would include:

1. If you are in Cocoa Beach, you could walk out onto the beach itself, including the Pier. However, the farther north you go, the better, so consider the area around Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral. Also, keep in mind that the rocket will seem to be launched from slightly inland, not from out over the water; try to pick a spot away from any taller buildings that could block your view. The sound from the blast will take around a minute to reach you, so you need to watch carefully.

2. If you have a car, you could drive up to the port area and watch from the Beachline (SR528) causeway just west of the interchange with SR401, or from SR401 itself. Look north, up the Banana River.

3. You could also drive up to Titusville and watch from the west bank of the Indian River, including Spaceview Park, which was a popular spot to watch shuttle launches. Look east.

Remember that launches are often delayed, even in the last few seconds of the countdown.

Postojna
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

Hi!

I have a car, and will be In Cocoa beach.

Which one of these places would you personaly go?

You think delay in hours or days?

Thank you!

Postojna
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

Is there oficial countdown page with actual delays informations?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

Because it is a launch after sunset, I probably would watch from SR401. Take A1A north through Cape Canaveral, where the highway becomes SR528, right at the port. Then take the SR401 North exit (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and Cruise Terminals A). Go past the cruise ship terminals and, before you reach the big white fuel tanks, park off the road and walk to the shore of the Banana River where there is no vegetation. If you look north up the long expanse of water, the launch will take place about 12 miles in front of you. As I mentioned before, the sound will take about a minute to reach that viewing point, so you will see the rocket well before you hear it.

If the weather is misty, you might want to instead go to Space View Park in Titusville, north on US1. That location is slightly closer.

In your car, listen to radio station WMEL, Cocoa Beach, which has a frequency of 1300 on the AM band. They usually provide countdown information for each launch.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

The best website with information on the May 22 and other launches is found at http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html .

Delays are most likely to be in days, not hours.

Enjoy Cocoa Beach and I hope you will be able to see the rocket go up!

Edited: 6:27 pm, April 26, 2013
Postojna
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

Hello!

Now I have checked my plan and - I made a mistake. On 22th of May I am just leaving to Paris :-) Just 1 or 2 hours before launch :-)

But - I will be in cocoa beach around 15th of May, which means I will be able to see launch of Atlas 5:

http://www.spacecoastlaunches.com/#schedule

But as I saw this is much smaller rocket?

Does this change anything about position of viewing?

thank you!!

7. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:14 am, April 27, 2013
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

Monitor the closing time for the KSC visitors' complex for that date. The usual hours are 9 a.m. through either either 5 or 6 p.m. The closing time does change from time to time.

The Atlas V is currently scheduled for launch between 5:39 and 5:58 p.m. on May 15, but the current posted closing time for the visitors' complex is 5 p.m.

Because this launch is during daylight, it would be better to watch from the visitors' complex, which is closer than the other locations previously mentioned. You could go up and spend the day there. Or, you could just go up before closing and pay the fee to park, but not actually go in. I've watched launches from the parking lot before. Even if the complex closes at 5 that day, it is unlikely they will make you leave the parking lot area before the launch time, and you might even be able to stay inside a bit longer because of the special circumstances.

Postojna
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

Hi,

Now I am in Orlando in the afternoon I will arrive to Cape Caneveral around 16:00.

Can you please tell me the place where to go? How can I get to watch place with navigation?

Thank you a lot!!!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Launch viewing on 22th of May

I just saw your post from early this afternoon, and hope that you were able to see the launch, which was as scheduled. Let us know where you watched from, and what the view was like.