We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

space centre tickets

Which Cape Canaveral hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
merlin076
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
space centre tickets

Is it necessary to pre-purchase tickets to visit the Space Centre or will there always be availability to purchase on arrival?

Also, the normal Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Admission

Ticket that is available for purchase, is this sufficient to see everything, or would it be recommended to add one of the other available tours in addition?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: space centre tickets

It is almost always possible to buy tickets without much wait at the ticket booths outside the main doors. Actually, the longer wait is usually for clearing security as you enter. KSC is a working complex that deals with many high-security issues, so the checks are going to be more than the bag searches at Disney.

For most people, the regular admission provides anywhere from 5-6 hours to a full day's entertainment. You get the standard bus tour, two IMAX movies, a number of buildings full of exhibits (for example, you will just be walking along, and there's the capsule from Apollo 13 of movie fame), a rocket garden, a handful of simulators, and admission to the nearby Astronaut Hall of Fame, which centers more on people than hardware.

If you have a special interest, the three optional, extra-cost tours center on (1) the huge VAB, currently housing the shuttle Atlantis, (2) the launch control center, and (3) the historical launch sites for the Mercury, Gemini, and the early Apollo missions. Starting mid-2013, Atlantis will have its own display building.

It's best to arrive around opening at 9. If you do decide to leave by mid-afternoon, take the 20-minute drive down SR-3 to Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach to watch the cruise ships sail, see the surfers around the pier, buy the famous tee-shirts at Ron Jon, and eat at one of the 200 or so restaurants in the area. It's only a 45-60 minute drive back to Orlando from there.

If you buy the $45 adult tickets, there are usually discounts of $3-7 readily available with coupons or on the website.

Edited: 12:12 am, August 19, 2012
merlin076
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: space centre tickets

Thank you so much for your indepth answer! This has really helped me in a big way. We are coming to America from Australia on August 2012 and will tour america for 9 weeks. Trip Advisor has been invaluable with reviews for accomodation, places to eat etc. Input from people like yourself will I am sure make this trip into a trip of a lifetime!

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: space centre tickets

You are so right. I have used TA all over the world!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: space centre tickets

I think we all enjoy helping out -- if a few moments of our time can make someone else's trip better, then it is worth it.

Nine weeks will allow you a comprehensive view of the USA. I hope you have a great trip, and can get to see some places outside of the usual tourist spots, and find some opportunity to relax a bit also!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: space centre tickets

Question! Do you have an opinion on which of the "additional" tours is the best?? Tossing up between

1 doing none

2 doing the VAB that sounds cool

3 launch control sounds pretty awesome too!

anyone done them? report back?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: space centre tickets

Anyone?

Wyong, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: space centre tickets

Do I need to pre-book tickets before I leave Australia or is it easy enough to purchase upon arrival at Centre

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: space centre tickets

I just lined up and bought them there, had to wait about 20 minutes.

After I bought and walked on a bit more i saw some electronic stalls where nobody was - i THINK you can buy them there too

Wyong, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: space centre tickets

Thank you --- have been hearing we need to pre purchase, will probably purchase when we get there in case circumstances change

10. Re: space centre tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:31 am, April 27, 2013