We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 27 No Go for Shuttle launch

Which Cape Canaveral hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Feb 27 No Go for Shuttle launch

The latest word from NASA is postponement of the Shuttle launch scheduled for 1:32am on February 27th.

While personally, this is somewhat of a disappointment, I cannot help but think that this is the best course. There are issues involving the hydrogen fuel valves and to me, that sounds like a "major malfunction" in the system. The safety of the crew and the welfare of their families should come first.

We do not need another Challenger disaster.

So I guess I can arrive in Orlando late Thursday night and proceed directly to my hotel. In some ways, this is a relief.

There is no word at this time as to when the launch will be rescheduled.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 27 No Go for Shuttle launch

Too bad about that. You won't still be in town on March 5 will you? You could catch the Delta II rocket launch.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 27 No Go for Shuttle launch

No, I won't be around on March 5th. But what I think would be just as interesting is viewing the Shuttle as it sits on the launch pad. I'm not interested in touring the Kennedy Space Center, but somewhere I saw a photo of the shuttle on the launch pad and I think it was taken from a beach road at Cape Canaveral National Seashore.

Anybody know where this is?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 27 No Go for Shuttle launch

Yes. You can see the shuttle launch pads up close (relatively) from the road to Playalinda Beach in the Canaveral National Seashore. Just go east from Titusville on SR406 across the A. Max Brewer Causeway to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Once on the refuge bear right onto SR402, Beach Road. This will take you to the beach and you will see the launch pads on your right. The nearest one is pad 39B, the one farther south is pad 39A, where the shuttle is at now.

4. Re: Feb 27 No Go for Shuttle launch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 18, 2009