We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Orlando Airport

Manchester
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Orlando Airport

Does anyone know how we can get from Orlando Airport to Anna Maria Island. Are there any shuttle buses on this route. Thanks

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

If you google supershuttle, there are ways to get here. It will cost about $300 each way. Renting a car is cheaper, and much preferred. The zip code for AMI is 34217.

Manchester
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

Thanks for the quick reply. We were just a bit worried driving from the airport late at night. Is it a easy journey.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

Not sure if it will be easy for you. Are you comfortable driving on the right hand side of the road? Since there will be a big time difference it might be best to spend the night at a hotel near the airport then pick up the rental car in the morning to drive to AMI.

Leeds
Level Contributor
66 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

Hi,

if you have driven in the US before it is quite straight forward. Could you bring your Sat Nav? If not you could hire one.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

If you are arriving in MCO from the UK, you really need to spend the night and set off in the morning. A cheap hotel will be far cheaper than any shuttle transport that far away- and I assume you wil want a hire car at some point.

So, fly in in the late afternoon/evening from the UK. Get a car from the AP and drive to a hotel nearby ( you may want right near the AP but if arriving before 5 pm i suggest drign to a resort area like LBV whereyou can have fun and then get up early and rive next day). The dirve to the west coast will take about 2 hours depending, so you could be there early next day.

In no universe would I suggest you drive to your final location getting in after 3 pm 9which means a min of an hour and up to 1.5 or more before you are in yoru car to set off- sanford ap and ad an hour) with 5 or more hours jet lag then dirving more then 2 hours. Not very safe.

Edited: 4:23 pm, December 28, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

Stay at the Marriott near the Airport ( on Augusta drive). Free shuttle to the hotel, rent from Hertz ( offfice on site, saving the overnite parking fee) pick up car at 9am the next morning, fresh and ready to go.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

It is an easy journey, but as the others have said, it is not a journey you want to start after traveling for 10-12 hours or more, plus all the hassles of immigration/customs/car rental. I recommend staying somnewhere in Orlando and heading out about 9 AM. After rush hour. A leisurely drive across Rt. 4, the onto Rt. 75 swouth for an hour to Rt. 64. 64 will take you all the way to the beach.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

Actually, my jet lag is so bad I set off by 6 am (haivng been up since 3)and bypass the worst of rush hour (as am past the I4/I75 by 7 am). But if yo find jet lag doesn'[t affect you that much in the am wait til 9 no problem. you can always set put formt he hotel and ythenhav aig breakfast while waiting for rush hour to pass.

I prefer to get where I am going by 9am on the gulf coast.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

As you've probably noticed, a lot depends on when you'll be arriving (and how fast you get through Customs/Immigration). Some flights from the UK get in just before 4 PM, and that might be OK for pushing on and trying to get to AMI same day, though you could run into a bit of rush hour traffic en route. Other flights, though, don't get in until 5:30 PM and that could make for a very l-o-n-g day; the suggestion to stay overnight in Orlando would be a good one in that case.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Orlando Airport

Its an easy route from MCO to Anna Maria - head on 528 to I4 West (Tampa) then pick up I75 South (Naples), then US64 to Bradenton then pick up signs for Anna Maria beaches. About 2.5 hr drive.

If you are happy to drive their straight after the flight then not too bad but I would stay over near the airport for a night ( bear in mind by the time you have gone through immigration and picked up a hire car you will have spent a couple of hours ) and set off next day so that the journey is more relaxed and you get to see the island approach in daylight.

Definately hire a car - driving is easy and cheaper than relying on taxis or buses. There is no bus service in Florida like the U.K.

Get answers to your questions about Bradenton Beach