We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip coming up!

St. Paul
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st trip coming up!

Thanks all of you for posting about Anna Maria Island. Yesterday morning I was looking at St. Pete's (again) to see if we wanted to vacation there. Someone responded to a post with a recommendation to consider AMI....the first time I'd ever heard of it. By noon, I had our trip booked! Staying at Tortuga later in March. I'm reading this forum like a mad man for everything to do. But does anybody have a top 5 list? We've got 4 days there.

Thanks

David

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip coming up!

Since my husbands name is David and I love this island, I will be happy to answer and by the way, Tortuga is a great place, use to be called the Catalina if anyone remembers:

Best Burger - Duffys

Best place to watch a sunset - Bean Point -

Best thing to do to get to know the island - Anna Maria Island Museum on Pine Street

Best White Russian - Drift-Inn on Bridgestreet

Best Pizza - Oma's

Best Pier & Beer - Rod & Reel Pier

Oh, that was 6, if you need more just look through the reviews and post here, lots of info.

As a native of Florida, sooooo much better than St. Pete!

Michigan
Level Contributor
177 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip coming up!

Went to AMI for 1st time last year, going back in Early April. Kids want to go here rather than Disney or anywhere else....that says it all. My top 5

1. Rod and Reel Pier.....great food, fun for the kids and really pretty views

2. Beach House....food was really good and the views cant be beat

3. The fishing piers.....we did them all and enjoyed each one. We caught fish each and everytime....small fish but fun.

4. Shelling was a lot of fun and the beaches were beautiful. Michigan has wonderful beaches too but AMI's are something different.

5. Lastly we found the business owners and locals to be wonderful. We come from a tourist town and the key to any tourist community is how owners and employees treat their customers. We had good service where ever we went and people are certainly laid back which is why soooooo many people love this area. Things get busy, crazy at times on AMI but there is a general sense of Slowing Down which we liked very much.

Anna Maria Island
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip coming up!

Hi!

You have to watch sunset at Bean Point. That is my favorite spot on the Island. It is absolutely breathtaking.

Regards,

BeachBumsAMI

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip coming up!

I think the best place for ice cream is ALL OF THEM. Go get ice cream every night and see who has the best :) I do like Dips and while there check out a great lil gift shop with a real cool fun lady. The shop is as fun as the name ' Three Island Monkey's'

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
143 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip coming up!

We've only been once, but I would highly recommend riding the trolley. It is free and it's so relaxing and a fun way to check out the island. When we saw something of interest, we would just get off the trolley, wander around a little, and then hop back on another trolley to come along. We're going back in 2 months and can't wait. Something we didn't know about last year and just recently learned on this forum is that you can put your bikes on the trolley. So when we go back we're going to do that because then we can explore areas on our bikes that are too far for us to bike all the way to.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip coming up!

Hi Nana Patty,

Yes you can put your bikes on the Trolley however, the trolley only holds 2 bikes at a time. We learned the hard way and were tired of biking down in Bradenton Beach and wanted to catch trolley back to Anna Maria and the driver informed us that the Trolley can hold 2 bikes. just an fyi :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip coming up!

the trolley is great! wish we used it more last year! plan it this april though!

we did REALLY good shelling in the morning.

dont foget the most important thing on AMI - to kick back, take it all in and begin planning your return trip!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip coming up!

I agree with other posts that watching sunset from Bean Point is an absolute must.

Dinner on Rod and Reel or City Pier is great fun. Watch the sunset,watch the boys and girls fishing and have something to eat. Great.

Great Pizza at Oma's at Bradenton Beach.

The Trolley Service is fabulous and we always do a complete round trip at least once just for the hell of it.

Meet the locals at The Drift Inn on Bridge Street. Alaways friendly.

St. Paul
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip coming up!

Thank you EVERYBODY for your insights! We're there next wednesday!

David

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip coming up!

Enjoy! Trip report, please!