We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just how nice IS the water here?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Just how nice IS the water here?

I've seen very different opinions on this subject but it is my #1 priority for a beach vacation. Looking for clear, calm and relatively shallow water as I can't swim. I know this can vary with weather but just in general. Thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

Since no one more familiar has chimed in. I'll offer what I can. I don't live there, but go there every great once in a while, to Placida/Little Gasparilla Island. In general, the water is warmer, and much calmer than the Atlantic coast. And, the water will stay shallower farther off the shore. In many places, you can be pretty far out there, and the water is only waist/booby deep or so. Normally will not be the crystal clear, post card blue water like you will find in the keys, or Caribbean, but is a very swimable area, and a very nice area overall. Kind of a slower paced, more laid-back, chill out type of atmosphere, compared to some of the busier beach areas of FL.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

Thanks MarkBee-sounds good to me! The only other issues I might have are the shark and giant black iguana :)

Philadelphia...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

My family has been several times and we are getting ready to leave again for Boca Grande this month. We have enjoyed the water! It is very shallow, which is great for us because we have small children. The water can range from crystal clear to slightly cloudy depending on what is going on weatherwise out in the Gulf. We were spoiled by this island and won't go to any beaches on the Atlantic Coast after being here. We did vacation in the Keys and found that while the water is also shallow and very nice, there are very few homes to rent that are directly on a beach. LOVE THE KEYS and will definitely go back, but BOCA GRANDE is our favorite relaxing vacation! GOOD LUCK!

Mentioned in this post
Boca Grande
Boca Grande
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
198 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

The water is wonderful. Generally very warm and relatively clear for Florida. You can walk a long way out without being over your hips. Did not like the dead and dying seaweed on the beaches. Spotted what I think was a large bull shark about 20' out.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

You probably received different answers because the water is different depending on where you are on the island. If you are on the south end, then I would not recommend going in the water, especially if you cannot swim. There is a strong under tow and there are signs posted not to swim - even though there is a big beach here. We stay at the BG Club and the water is wonderful - never had a problem with the kids playing in the water or the waves - seems like we went out a ways also. The waves can be big or calm - just depends on the weather. If it is calm - go out in the morning and look for dolphins - that's when I see them. I have heard that there are sharks in the pass, but for the 24 years I have been going there - I have never seen one. As to Iguanas - BG used to have a problem with them and I remember seeing them sunbathing in the sun, but I haven't seen them the last couple of years. They hired someone to get rid of the iguanas because they are not native to the area and my guess is that you won't see any.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

I am familira with the island but was on a french beach when you posted lol.

AS said above, it will differ depending ont he beach you choose. I like South Beach, where as above it can be deeper and have an undertow but I stay norht of the old oer and have never had a problem. It can be very shallow further north on the island. I really love the water on Gasparila island. I used to live int he bahamas and it is the closest to the water there that I have seen.

AMI has some nice sand bars, as does Sanibel island.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
7. Re: Just how nice IS the water here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, October 08, 2012