We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go????

CT
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Should we go????

Hi

Thinking of going in a few weeks. We usually go to Sanibel/Captiva. Is Boca similar? Any suggestions? Is it an easy drive from the Fort Myers airport? any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we go????

Though I've never been the water should be similar to Captiva as it is not too far away. It is an easy drive, just a little further than to Sanibel. You have to go through Port Charlotte and drive through Rotonda before you cross over to Boca Grande.

Sarasota, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we go????

Easy drive up I75 but yes you do have to go through Port Charlotte, Once you get out there, its like being in Marthas Vineyard with the quaint New England charm and white picket fences and wooden structures with the beautiful old Florida charm and natural Florida landscape with the banyan trees and beautiful turquoise waters. Tons of shelling, dolphins and soft white sand with lighthouses nestled in between. I call it my own little piece of heaven, I actually prefer it over Sanibel !!

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we go????

You will love the Old Florida feel of Boca Grande. You rent a golf cart and park your car. The golf cart path goes the full 8 mile length of the Island.

There are two light houses and don't miss Banyon Street. The Anchor Inn on 4th Street has a nice romantic feel and is located in the center of town. You will not want to leave.

marco island fl.
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we go????

Have to agree with najjum, love the Anchor Inn !! Rented a golf-cart from Boca buggies. A perfect combination. easy access to beaches , no beach fees

The best are the late night golf-cart rides.

CT
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we go????

Thanks for the suggestions. I noticed two comments about Port Charlotte. Is it a pain to travel through? How long would the ride be from Fort Myers...an hour? Also...Any restaurant recommendations?

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we go????

Port Charlotte is not that bad. Do stop at Publix if you need to go to the grocery store. Prices are cheaper off island. There is a great grocery store on island to fill in with items you forgot.

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we go????

Not a big deal to go through Port Charlotte, unless you follow your GPS and get off before Kings Highway and drive down 41. Then you will run into traffic and spot lights.

Take the Kings Highway exit, take a left and go under the expressway. Then take the first right onto Veterans Highway. You should get to Boca Grande is less than an hour and a half from the airport.

Lots of great restaurants - depends what you are looking for. Loose Caboose, Patrick's Thai, the Outlet, Millers, PJs, and the Temp are our favorites. Also the Boca Grande Club has great food - and ran into someone who thinks 3rd street cafe and the Pass Club are the best. The weather is perfect now - hurry down.

8. Re: Should we go????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, February 13, 2013