We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Which Big Pine Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Hi to all of you~

Please can assist me with my inquiries about BIG PINE KEY FLORIDA....

We will be arriving the first week of January and We have a place to stay ( private home).

However - this will be our first time to that area and I can't seem to find much info on beach info--I know about Bahia Honda State Park and Beach, Big Pine Key..and the deer park which we have no need to visit ..we have deer all around us.......Are there tiny areas of beach access that we could walk to? or places just to relax? the house we have has NO yard ..any information would be appreciated ,,,thanks !

10 replies to this topic
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Hard to say about walking to a beach. Big Pine isn't just a neighborhood. It's a fairly large area.

I'm not all that familiar with the area, but don't know of many little beaches.

You could ask the home owner . . . . .

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Many homes in the keys are canals. Key Colony Beach is a prime example. The entire neighborhood is on canals with the exception of the very outer perimter where the Cabana Club and a few other places are located. I never heard of beaches mentioned in Big Pine but like BG, we never stay there so am not that familiar with wha may be available. I don't recall seeing any from the main road. Some sections of the keys are basically buildings built on top of coral reef and rock. What beaches there are are mostly man made. As BG said check with the owners. They may have more info.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Big Pine is a really big area. And a really BIG area of a lot of nothing. Most likely you will have the deer visiting you - they are everywhere in that area. If you are near Deer Run Bed and Breakfast you might be able to access the beach NEAR them, but it's not a big sandy beach area like Bahia Honda. Lots of beautiful waterfront areas in the Keys but not a lot of BEACH.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Thank you for your reply-- I will have to talk to the family member who owns the house --

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Thanks Bluewater.

As I thought-- I may think again about staying a whole week there----it wasn't my idea-- I appreciate your reply~

Edited: 6:00 pm, October 24, 2013
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

Thank you Bornwithwheels--

I have seen the photos of those canals _ and I am thinking that it is not an area that I want to visit-- a family member has rented a house there-- Hoping he changes his mind about a vacation destination--- Thanks

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

We enjoy it but if beaches are the main reason for visiting then the keys are not for you. There are places in the middle keys such as C ontinental Inn, The Reef resort, Tranquility Bay in Marathon and others in Islamorada that do have a beach. Not many private houses have them.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

I stayed on Big Pine years ago and we went to Bahia Honda every day. It is a beautiful beach. When you get past the guard house, turn left and go to the last parking lot for a beach that is more secluded. Gorgeous. Big Pine is a great place to stay. Extremely quiet, yes. But you can go out to dinner, down to Key West, etc. from there. Of course, I have never been unhappy on any of the Keys we have stayed at, and we have stayed on many! LOL

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

I would say either rent a boat or find a guide to take you out to content keys. There is so much to see out there. I know a few guides I would recommend.

As far as walking on little paths....there is a road. Mm30 turn by big pine fishing lodge. Long beach drive. There are many trails that lead to both bay and ocean side. Be warned though. You may see nudes. Just be aware if there are cars there.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.

I would say either rent a boat or find a guide to take you out to content keys. There is so much to see out there. I know a few guides I would recommend.

As far as walking on little paths....there is a road. Mm30 turn by big pine fishing lodge. Long beach drive. There are many trails that lead to both bay and ocean side. Be warned though. You may see nudes. Just be aware if there are cars there.

Reply to: Will be staying in BIG PINE KEY in January 2014.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted