We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for info on old wooden bridge and also snorkeling

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for info on old wooden bridge and also snorkeling

I read somewhere that you can walk out the old wooden bridge and see sharks and rays passing through, as well as other sea life, and also it's supposed to be a great place to fish. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate info, and what we could expect to catch there?

Also what is a good company to go snorkeling w/ to the marine sanctuary there, I think there's a shipwreck? We are staying in Big Pine a couple nights before heading to Key West, any info will be appreciated!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,362 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for info on old wooden bridge and also snorkeling

If you are speaking about the old 7 mile bridge you can walk out on it & fish from it. There are tarpon and snook and probably a few other kinds of fish. The bridge does not go all the way across anymore.

On the north side there is a tour that takes you on a train across the bridge & out to Pigeon Key. They stop along they way and show you the huge schools of tarpon and other fish. The tour is interesting too with lots of facts about the area.

I can't help you with the snorkeling but I know if you research back thru some of the keys posts you will find lots of good info.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for info on old wooden bridge and also snorkeling

Yes, that's the bridge I'm asking about! Thanks so much for your info, I've also posted in the Key West forum inquiring about the bridge,but so far your the only reply I've received. We are staying right next to the bridge (according to the rental company) and thought it would be nice to spend a little time on it fishing, watching the sunset, having a few cold ones, but didn't know if it would be worth the effort to fish there. The train sounds nice too. It's our first trip to Big Pine, although we've been to Key West, and arn't sure what to do there besides visit the deer refuge/blue hole. No one seems interested in the old bridge anymore??? Looking forward to a new adventure there anyway! Thanks for the info again,let me know if ya think of anything else.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,362 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for info on old wooden bridge and also snorkeling

Big Pine is very small town. Deer key is neat to drive back in on the side roads and see the deer feeding. Marathon is on the north side of the 7-mile and has lots of little shops and some good restaurants. Keys Fisheries, Burdines, Sparkeys to name a few.

You are also not far from Key West. I'm sure if you ask at the local tackle shops they can give you info on what's being caught & where. Get some live shrimp for bait & you can usually catch some snapper or maybe even a tarpon. There is also a place to fish just on the north side of the bridge on the gulf side.

4. Re: Looking for info on old wooden bridge and also snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 26, 2009