We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hagley or Longwood in June?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
708 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Hagley or Longwood in June?

My husband and I are visiting relatives in NJ later this month and want to stop to visit a museum and/or gardens on the way home to Maryland. It will be a Monday so a lot of things are closed; we've narrowed the choices down to the Hagley Museum and Longwood Gardens. We'll get there about 11-12 so will only have about 4-5 hours. Which do you think would be better to do in mid-June and in that amount of time? How long would it take to get to each place from I-95?

One more question: the Hagley website says its restaurant is closed, so if we go there we need to eat lunch nearby before we go in. Can you recommend anything close by that is not fast food? (pizza is OK if it's good)

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hagley or Longwood in June?

Well....what are your interests? Hagley is mainly an industrial museum while Longwood is horticultural. Both are easily doable.

Where in NJ? If it is above exit 3 on NJTP and you choose Longwood you might do well to take the Commodore Barry bridge on rt 322 west to US1. Then follow US1 to Longwood. On leaving Longwood you could take US1 down across Conowingo Dam and reconnect with 95 around Bel Air.

If you do Hagley, for lunch, take 14 1 South to De 52. Take 52 west. There a couple nice places for lunch there. Cromwell's Tavern, Pizza By Elizabeth are two of the better ones. Get back on 141 south to reconnect to 95.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hagley or Longwood in June?

Your two choices are very different.

Longwood Gardens is a former estate, now one of the most extensive botanical gardens in the US. It features a huge conservatory/greenhouse building with seasonal flora, truly a banquet for the senses, rain or shine.

The Hagley Museum is a favorite of students of history, such as those doing research for papers. If you have an interest in how business and industry shaped our nation, you might enjoy it. Otherwise, probably not.

You might also consider the more popular Wintertur Museum, another fabulous former DuPont estate with period furnishings.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
708 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hagley or Longwood in June?

Thanks to both of you for this helpful information. The problem is that my husband is more into historical stuff, while I'm more into gardens and interesting architecture and design. I thought Hagley might have something for both of us because the description mentions the Eleutherian Mills home and gardens as well as the historical/industrial exhibits. Have you seen the home and gardens and did you think they were worth the trip?

We went to Winterthur a few years ago. Though it's probably worth another trip, my husband would prefer to go someplace else this time.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hagley or Longwood in June?

Both Hagley and Longwood Gardens are nice places to visit. Hagley is more of a historical home with a history. It is nice and the nearby water is pretty. You will learn about gun powder and etc here. They do have a small garden area beside the home. Longwood is a beautiful garden with a small pond and a stone tower on location. They do have a restaurant at Longwood, but Ive never eaten there. I think you could do either in the 4-5 hour time slot, but my pick would be Longwood Gardens. I usually only visit Hagley during their annual car show in September.

IF you go to Hagley, there are many many places to eat on nearby Route 202 in the Fairfax area (ie: Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Bertucci's, Macaroni Grill, Grotto Pizza & MORE). Another place that gets good publicity is Elizabeth's (pizza) in Greeneville, DE. IHowever, my recommendation would be to drive the extra distance to Centreville, DE to Buckely's Tavern. It is my recommendation for IF you go to Longwood Gardens too. We always stop at Buckley's on our way back from Longwood Gardens. They have the best RIBS! Parking is tight there, but the food is super!

Here are links to my reviews (with photos)of Buckleys and Long Wood Gardens:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1232137-d51…

tripadvisor.com/…UR10071660

Hope this helps!

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
708 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hagley or Longwood in June?

Thanks so much, your suggestions and reviews are very helpful. When I looked at your photos of Buckley's I realized that we ate there a few years ago when we spent a weekend in the Brandywine Valley, and I remember that it was very good.

Hagley is sounding less and less interesting to me (not really into business/industrial history and gunpowder!) so I'll have to see if I can persuade my husband to go to Longwood.

6. Re: Hagley or Longwood in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 06, 2010