We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delaware Beaches

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coopersburg...
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Delaware Beaches

My famiy and I are considering an August, 2013 vacation to either Rehoboth, Dewey or Bethany Beach. We are not interested in over crowded beaches (need some breathing room). We love Rehoboth off season but have heard it is very crowded in the summer. Can anyone give us any insight on areas to stay that may be "less crowded" in August? Thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Delaware Beaches

August is peak season. Your three choices are prime destinations. If you're not interested in overcrowded beaches, I'd suggest you change either your schedule or destinations.

How did the storm treat you?

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
631 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Delaware Beaches

I've never stayed in Rehoboth or Dewey in August, but have in July and during the week from Sunday evening through Friday morning, I did not find the beaches to be overcrowded at all...in fact, I would describe it as quite sparse (maybe about 10 people in the vicinity) and that even includes the afternoons. Now, i can't speak for the weekends because I have not stayed at either on a weekend.

Coopersburg...
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Delaware Beaches

Well....daddio361, I was hoping for a different response but not surpised. Do you know anything about North Rehoboth or Rehoboth by the Sea?

As for the storm, our little town didn't fare very well. Lots of trees down, including on houses. Not sure it was a tornado but it was "something", we lost power (6+hours) and lots of chain saws running on Sunday.

How did you fare?

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Delaware Beaches

Kelbel, one of my buddies lives in Limeport; he's still cleaning up the property.

Although we live just outside Rehoboth's town limits, we don't often go there during the summer due to the traffic and crowds. I agree with BBear that weekdays are less brutal and uncrowded beaches can be found if you don't mind not having lifeguards and amenities nearby (not easy with kids in tow). Depends on the weather, too, but traffic can be even worse on iffy beach days. Augusts are rough for the locals. Personally, that would be my least favorite time to visit. You're paying peak season rates, too.

We usually go to the beach in Lewes (just north of Rehoboth). It's generally not crowded if you avoid the main parking lot, but this beach is on the DE bay, meaning no waves. This idea may be immediately rejected by any boogie boarding offspring. but it's perfect for younger kids. Cape Henlopen SP (just up the road) has an ocean beach, but you often need to hike to find an uncrowded stretch of beach there.

Both CHSP and the main beach in Lewes have lifeguards, restrooms, showers, and a concession stand; the bonus in Lewes is that you can park right next to the sand. The town of Lewes is charming and less touristy than Rehoboth, but will by no means be empty in August. It has waterfront dining options Rehoboth and Bethany lack (can also be found in Dewey).

Unfortunately, Lewes doesn't have a lot of accomodation options, unless you're looking to rent a beach cottage or house.

Best wishes, whatever you decide.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
275 posts
5. Re: Delaware Beaches
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

August is a great time to visit the beaches - but it can be crowded.

Bethany Beach and Fenwick Island are often referred to as the "Quiet Resorts". They are very family oriented towns with tons of small town charm - plus - they are right on the beach. Most bars and restaurants in the town limits close around 11:30 ish....so if you're looking for any type of nightlife within walking distance, this may not be the place.

Rehoboth Beach is a fantastic town! Yes, it is busy in August, however, you won't have problems if you park your car for the week/weekend and don't plan on moving it too much. There's really no need to anyway as everything is at your finger tips. There are TONS of restaurants to suit any type of fancy. there is a mile long boardwalk with a old-fashioned amusement park called Funland. The "quieter" ends are North and South Rehoboth. North Rehoboth is often referred to as "The Pines" or "North Shores". All of the accommodations in these areas are rentals and are quite popular. You'll find more hotels in the center of town (Rehoboth Ave., Delaware Ave., Wilmington Ave, Maryland Ave etc.) The beaches at the north and south ends are much more quiet and peaceful. Rehoboth is a very walkable town....so you won't have a problem getting around. I hope this helps!!!

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
6. Re: Delaware Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, October 19, 2012
Edited: 2:05 pm, October 19, 2012
7. Re: Delaware Beaches

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, October 19, 2012
8. Re: Delaware Beaches

Removed on: 9:05 pm, October 19, 2012
Edited: 9:05 pm, October 19, 2012
Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1,025 reviews
9. Re: Delaware Beaches

hi,

Bethany might be a little less crowded than Rehoboth or Dewey Beach. They are all within driving distance of each other so...you could visit all the towns during one vacation. You might also check out Lewes..a small beach town just a few miles north of Rehoboth Beach. You can go to the beaches at the CHSP, Cape Henlopen State Park....nice beaches with a bath house and concession stand. The undertow is not as swift here & you dont have to pay meters. You will have to buy a park pass for the day though! You can also go to beach 1 & 2 in Lewes by the DQ. It is more like bay waters, so no waves to contend with--great for smaller kids. You might also check out Assateague Island in MD...near Ocean City, MD. It is a nice quiet beach with free roaming horses on the beach. It is an experience. You can even camp on the beach in Assateague if interested.

Hope this helps some.

Edited: 8:01 am, October 20, 2012
Macungie...
Level Contributor
84 posts
294 reviews
10. Re: Delaware Beaches

The whole area is crowded in August and even the quiet Assateague Island beached where packed during our August visit. As people are traveling less the local beaches have become more crowded. If I had to pick I would say Bethany would be the least crowded but not by much. You may want to check out Fenwick Island or Northern Ocean City. You don't have the boardwalk or the usual games and rides but the beaches are less crowded.