We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bluegrass
Level Contributor
34 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

Never been to Rehoboth Beach, but we thought we might try it out in October. We enjoy a quiet laid-back beach experience...not crazy about amusements, etc. Vacations these days means REST. A cozy place to stay in a quiet area. We normally rent oceanfront cottages...is there anything like this in Rehoboth? I've been browsing online today and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Was hoping someone local or who knows the area well could respond and let me know if I should keep looking in Rehoboth or if I should look at another beach community. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

Oceanfront cottage? I personally have never seen anything like that in Rehoboth. But if you looking for quiet & laid back in late October, you will get that in Rehoboth.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

Hi,

In October the town slows down. The amusements like the waterpark, Funland and etc have closed. The shops & restaurants will be open. Weekends will be busier than weekdays even in the off season. Coast Day is the 1st Sunday in October in Lewes IF you are interested in a "local" activity.

Also, no oceanfront cottages that I can think of IN rehoboth. There are cottages for rent on Bay Rd. They are not on the ocean. You might consider staying south of Rehoboth in Dewey. You could probably find a "cottage" there & it will be quieter since the college kids have gone back to school.

Hope this helps.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

Bethany has homes close to ocean but if you are thinking ocean front like OBX where the house is literally right on the beach, don't think you will find that. There are homes (huge and not sure about rental) along fenwick but I think all of those are on the bay side.

Bluegrass
Level Contributor
34 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

Thanks for each response. Although it sounds like an interesting area, I'm not entirely sure that Rehoboth is what we are looking for at this time. Who knows? We may check it out for a couple of days rather than making reservations for an entire week. I think it would be a place our grandchildren would enjoy visiting, so perhaps we will take them one day. For my husband and me...we are really looking for a quiet, restful getaway. Therefore, I think we will keep searching. I appreciate each response...your suggestions were very helpful in making my decision.

Amherst, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

Hi Fontinini- it depends on the weather. The nicer it is the more people show. October is generally post-hurricane season in Rehoboth; however, so a good time to go if you don't mind not being able to swim (the water, I think, would be too cold), and not being able to sunbathe. Dolles and most of the boardwalk and Rehoboth Ave shops will still be open, but I believe FunLand is closed---or open only in the eves and on weekends only. The outlets are always open! But keep in mind they're not really outlets--they're just stores made to look like outlets, and I've only ever found the QVC outlet, the seasonal stores, and candy outlets have truly discounted prices over what I'd pay at home for the same.

As for lodging...I read the other poster's comments, and you CAN actually find some cottages for rent. You have to call the agencies who rent them tho. Go to Jack Lingo or Long & Foster's websites and ask to speak with an agent about off-season rentals. You would be renting by the day, not the week, I assume. There's also a number of hotels right on the Boardwalk and a block back that offer cut rates during the off-season. There's a plethora of inns both in Rehoboth, Bethany Beach (20 minute drive to RB), the town of Lewes (15 minute drive to RB), and historic Cape May; an hour by ferry across the Delaware. You can take your car across, or go on foot.

Look at homeaway.com to connect directly with a home owner with a property to rent. A lot of their stock shows houses to rent during the off-season by the day or week. Good luck!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

There are plenty of ocean BLOCK rental cottages in Rehoboth, some vintage, some modern or updated. Ocean FRONT "cottages" are becoming a rare breed in almost all northeastern beach towns....nearly all have been razed to build contemporary "McMansions."

You might try Dewey Beach, just south of Rehoboth, or Bethany/Fenwick, but it may take some searching.

Lewes also has vintage beach-front (but mostly beach block) cottages, but Lewes beach is not the ocean; it's the DE bay, but plenty relaxing.

Alas, if you really want a classic oceanfront "cottage" I'm thinking you may be better off looking in NC....

7. Re: Rehoboth Beach in late October...how busy is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 17, 2012