We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
NJ
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Anyone down there now? We were supposed to be there this week and are trying to figure out if we should still come down, assuming our rental is okay. Thanks!

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Saw our local news down there on the boardwalk. It was sunny & a bit windy and alot of the stores were boarded up but people were there. I also got a report from family that it was a bunch of down limbs & there was some flooding but it doesnt sound like they got as bad as expected. I think things are going to be back up and running very soon since labor day weekend is only a few days away. I do know there was a tornado that touched down in Lewes and did some pretty bad damage.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Except for a twister at Five Points, the storm was pretty much a non-event here. We've endured worse nor'easters.

Went to Claws in Rehoboth last night (DW HAD to have the $17.99 Lobster Special, and we both needed to get out after being cooped up for 36 hours). I had a burger, both meals were good and they made a decent manhattan. Tried to stop at Gelato Gal on the way home, but she was closed.

There was very little traffic and very few people about, reminded us of what it might be like a few weeks from now. Most of the shops and motels and many restaurants were still closed. Didn't see much storm damage.

The weather is positively stunning right now: About 80 and sunny with a light breeze, and it's supposed to be that way all week; AC off, windows open. DW's at the beach as we speak.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Except for a twister at Five Points, the storm was pretty much a non-event here. We've endured worse nor'easters.

Went to Claws in Rehoboth last night (DW HAD to have the $17.99 Lobster Special, and we both needed to get out after being cooped up for 36 hours). I had a burger, both meals were good and they made a decent manhattan. Tried to stop at Gelato Gal on the way home, but she was closed.

There was very little traffic and very few people about, reminded us of what it might be like a few weeks from now. Most of the shops and motels and many restaurants were still closed. Didn't see much storm damage.

The weather is positively stunning right now: About 80 and sunny with a light breeze, and it's supposed to be that way all week; AC off, windows open. DW's at the beach as we speak.

Edited: 1:17 pm, August 29, 2011
Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Duplicate Post

Edited: 1:18 pm, August 29, 2011
NJ
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Thank you so much. We are here and it is wonderful. We have not yet explored beyond our front porch, but we will soon. Love Rehoboth beach. So happy to be here!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

Rehoboth Beach sustained little to no visible physical damage. It's like a relative ghost town today; all businesses are open, maybe two or three cars parked per block on Rehoboth Ave.

Hopefully it will be back to "normal" this weekend.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

The whole week has been one of the best I've ever enjoyed...spectacular early fall weather, warm water and surprisingly little traffic or crowds.

Now, at least some of that will change for the weekend, of course.

We had almost no damage in my neighborhood along Rt. 1, just leaves and twigs to rake up. That's a relief, because none of my neighbors lifted a finger to prepare or vacate.

The confirmed tornado NW of Lewes produced 95mph winds and left an 80-yard-wide path of damage (pretty close to the "Extreme Makeover" house!). Other than that, Lewes beach suffered severe dune erosion, mostly in the area between Children's Beach House and the inlet.

A huge hand-hewn beam (maybe 8"x12"x16') washed up opposite Savannah Rd. It was a beauty and fully functional, no worse for wear after it's voyage, but they chain-sawed it up and tossed it in a garbage truck.

Reclaimed timbers that size bring big money.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110903/NEWS/110903009/Crowds-migrate-back-Delaware-beaches?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Local|s

9. Re: How are things in Rehoboth Beach after Irene?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 16, 2012