We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Review

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Review

Just got back from our annual two week vacation in Rehoboth. Had some great weather…most days were sunny and the humidity wasn’t bad at all. Only had one rainy day and a one night of a bad storm that left us on Rehoboth Ave with flooding roads. Had some nice nights out at some of the great places in Rehoboth for dinner.

Summerhouse- Went here on Wed. night for their BBQ night. Overall…it was very, very good. I got the pick 2 out of 3 BBQ special and got the BBQ ribs and BBQ pulled pork along with creamed spinach and fries. The ribs had little to no fat on them and the pulled pork had a nice taste with a great dipping sauce. The creamed spinach was outstanding. Grade: A+

Annabella’s- This is an Italian restaurant located in Lewes. When you first walk in you think it is fine dining but the prices are reasonable. Got the Chicken Parm and it was tasty and a nice size portion. I was surprised the meals didn’t come with a salad, although the bread they offered with the dip was something different and a nice change. But I definitely thought they should include a salad with the meal. Also, we weren’t happy with the waitress. The restaurant was only a quarter full but we had to wait a long time for her to come around to our table and then a long wait for something we had asked for. A gentleman who looked like he might have been the owner was running around at the end of our meal just trying to help her catch up with everything. With all of the great choices in the area, I don’t think we will try Annabella’s again.

Grade: D+

La Dolce Vita- This is also an Italian restaurant located on Long Neck Rd. in Millsboro. We wanted to try this place because I heard it was once a great place called Villa Rosa and it had different owners but followed in Villa Rosa’s footsteps. Also saw in the Beachcomber they offered a special Sunday- Thursday from 3:30-6 for $10 meals which included bread, salad and entrée. We took advantage of the special, but the prices outside the $10 deals were reasonable. I had the Chicken Parm again and my wife had the Chicken Alfredo. My meal was good and her meal was outstanding. The salads were on the small side but the bread was fresh baked and had good dipping oil. I’m not sure if it is a locals place or if anyone knows about this place yet, as there was only one other couple in the place, but if you want a good Italian meal go to La Dolce Vita.

Grade: A

Big Fish Grill- Located on Route 1 in Rehoboth, very easy to get to. One thing I remember about this place is no matter how long the waiting line they still get you in as quickly as possible. I got the Big Shrimp Pasta…with very large shrimp in pasta with white wine sauce, artichoke tomatoes and different spices (asked for no pine nuts). It was a nice dish with different flavors. Unfortunately, I found two hairs in the food. I don’t like to cause problems and I hate to send food back because god knows what they do to the food before you get it back, and I didn’t find the food towards the end of the meal. But I did mention to the waitress about the hairs, jokingly saying one of their cooks might have a hair loss problem. Next thing I know the manager is at the table, apologizing and offering a complimentary dessert. You hear the stories on here about how a customer complains and the wait staff does nothing….not at Big Fish. I appreciate the manager coming to me directly and quelling the issue. Another issue I had was with my drink. I ordered an iced tea and was starting my meal when I needed a refill. I asked the waitress twice for a refill. The 2nd time she said they were brewing more. I didn’t have a drink my whole meal and I saw tea in the clear machine at one point.

Grade: B-

Mariachi’s- Last time we were in Rehoboth we went to Dos Locos and, for the second time, was very unsatisfied with the food and service. We saw the reviews of Mariachi’s on TA and Yelp and decided to give them a try. We will never go to another Mexican restaurant in Lower Delaware. Mariachi’s is out of this world good. The salsa and chips were complimentary (as they should be) and the salsa looked and tasted like it was homemade. I got the Beef & Shrimp Fajitas and there was so much flavor and freshness. My wife got the enchiladas and said they were the best she ever had. She also got a Peach Margarita that was very, very good. We made reservations, but they weren’t needed as the restaurant at 6 pm (peak time) was only half full. Not sure why everyone isn’t lining up at the doors for this place. We sat on the 2nd floor, outside, overlooking Wilmington Ave. Our server was on the ball and was there whenever needed. I believe the owner’s wife was also going from table to table to make sure everything was ok. Mariachi’s is a must-go when we are in Rehoboth again.

Grade: A+++++

Arena’s- We went to Arena’s breakfast at Route 1 (next to Big Fish Grill) on Sunday 2 times. They offer breakfast sandwiches, which looked big and tasty, but got the breakfast buffet. Not much on the buffet but I’ll take quality over quantity any day. They had sausage patties, bacon, eggs, cheesy eggs, potatoes, tater tots, biscuits, sausage gravy and mixed fruit. They also make omelettes as you wait and they were very good. The seating is tight inside but they do have outdoor seating. We also went to Arena’s in Lewes for lunch because dad heard they had been voted Best Nachos in the area. Their nachos were pretty good, not the best I ever had.

Grade: B+

During our vacation, we also had a chance to try some other things. Lingo’s Market, just off Rehoboth Ave, is a very popular place in Rehoboth every morning with the locals. They have baked fresh goodies there every morning, from croissants to bagels and Danish’s to muffins. Their chocolate croissant, although I am sure very fattening, is unbelievable. Also got a chance to try Royal Treat twice for dessert. We got their “non-traditional” banana split, where you got to choose any 3 scoops of ice cream and any 3 toppings….and their 3 scoops is actually about 6 scoops. Just Hershey’s ice cream but you can’t beat a banana split with your own choices for just $6!! Not food related, but Funland is an outstanding bargain and a great family place. Bought the 90 tickets for $20 for my 2 year old son and we only went through half the tickets in the two weeks we were there. The little kids rides are 1 or 2 tickets and are the same rides I was on 25 years ago. He had a blast and I hope Funland is still there when my son has kids.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Review

Great info.. Thanks for sharing!!

Delaware
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Review

Great review... I haven't tried Mariachi's yet but now I think I'll have to!

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Review

Hi!

Thanks for the restaurant review...good information! IF you haven't already, consider posting the individual reviews in the reviews section of TA for each restaurant. This will help those who visit TA for reviews & might miss this helpful information (if they dont check the forums)!

Again, Thanks for sharing!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Review

so helpful, thank you!

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Review

shoffy,

Thanks, that was a great review of lots of places. I think we "discovered" that place on Long Neck Road when it was Ciao Bella, right after it was Villa Rosa. We thought the food was a terrific value and there was one waitress in particular who was SO good! It's just a little far for us so we haven't been back in a couple years. Sorry if they folded and had to be revived under another name.

Thanks, too for the rest of the reviews. We love Big Fish, for dining in, for takeout, and for buying our own dinner ingredients at their market. We were not so crazy about Summerhouse, but we haven't eaten there in the past couple years, since Big Fish bought them.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Review

Wythany

Unfortunately we have so many restaurants on Long Neck Road and in the new shopping centers they just can't all survive.

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Review

I hope Dolce Vita can survive. They are trying to get their name out there by putting an advertisement in The Beachcomber. I was planning on going there anyway on vacation but when I saw the Sunday-Thursday $10 special for entree, salad and bread we went on a weekday. Definitely one of the best italian meals I've ever had and I hope they get the business to stay open.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
72 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Review

Great Info! My wife and I want to try Timothy's. It is on Rt 1. Have not found any reviews for it so far. Do you have any info on it?

PS

Have to disagree on DOS LOCOS. They have a stone cooked sirlion that is out of this world!!!! Got to be careful though. It comes to your table raw served on an oven heated stone (probably 600 deg f or so) with any rub of your choice. You essentially cook it right on the stone. It is very hot and will cook quicker than a microwave. Once you have spiced it with your favorite rub you let it cook as long as you choose (seconds to a minute) and place it on your plate to eat. Once it is cut up and cools a bit, I love to place the small cuts back on the stone for a quick reheat. It is great! Have not been there this summer, but this meal if I remember was a featured speacial running about 10.99 or so. It is on my list before I end the season.

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Review

If I am spending the money to go out to dinner, why do I have to cook my own meal...lol. As far as Mexican restaurants, I'll go to Mariachi's where the food is already cooked to perfection before I go back to Dos Locos and deal with the flies, tables that sit right on top of each other and servers who are more interested in customers who are buying alcohol and esentially padding their tips.

10. Re: Restaurant Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:55 am, February 23, 2011