We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports Bar Suggestions?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sports Bar Suggestions?

We're going to be in town during the Baseball All Star game, any suggestions of a good place to watch it at?

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
648 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

My favorite is always the Frogg Pond, but here are a bunch of suggestions:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20149-Best_Pla…

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1,327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

How about the Grand Slam (Grotto Pizza location on highway one in Lewes)? Here is their web address if you are interested:

www.grottopizza.com/index.php…

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate it.

One question though, is the Grand Slam/Grotto different than other Grotto's? I've never gone to a Grotto's before even though I've seen their buildings from the outside on many occasions.

We're going to be staying in Dewey across the street from a Grotto's and just wondering if they would have televisions to watch the game on.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1,327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

I do NOT think that ALL Grotto locations have TV's (or at least multiple large screen TV's) for watching games. I know the Grand Slam had several TV's and so did the Long Neck location. I have not been to the Slam in years (as I never really cared for the sports bar atmosphere myself). I usually choose one of the Rehoboth Locations for food. I have only been to the Dewey location once & it was the take out counter, but I do not think it offers the sports bar atmosphere you are looking for. You could call the store OR pose this same question on the Dewey Beach Forum to double check.

Also the Gray Hare Tavern near McDonald's/Exxon on Route 24 is a bar with TV's on location. http://www.grayharetavern.com/

Also know that there is a Hooters in Rehoboth. Never been in--so not sure how many TV's, etc.

I still think the Slam would be your best bet. But maybe some other TA members can bring up some other options--as I am not exactly an expert in Sports Bars.

Hope this helps some.

Mentioned in this post
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

Thank you, you've been very helpful.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

The Grand Slam is not a typical Grotto restaurant. It used to be the Holy Mackeral (sports bar) before Grottos bought it, remodeled & enlarged it. So yes, you can get their famous pizza there, but that is where the similarity to their other locations ends.

I guess Gray Hare is OK to watch a game, has an indoor/outdoor section for smokers, but the only "view" is of traffic congestion!

Maybe another idea is Arena's (either). Neither of these are billed as sports bars but local hangouts.

Never been an avid Frogg Ponder, as a male I sometimes felt unwelcome.

One of the best crowds we ever watched a game with was at Victorias in the pub...sometimes snooty, but you just never know.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria's Restaurant
Victoria's Restaurant
431 Reviews
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Northern VA
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

There is a sports bar attached to the Grottos in Dewey. The name escapes me right now (for some reason). It is small, but I'm sure the game will be on.

I'm sure games will be on at Starboard as well, and they have several TVs spread around the bar. Starboard is not a sports bar, but you will see some people watching.

Mentioned in this post
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

Daddio361 and sbva65, thank you both for the information and suggestions, I appreciate it.

Last year when we were in OC during the All Star Game we went to Buxy's and loved it. One of the main reasons I was looking into a sports bar as opposed to just a bar that has the game on is usually with the sports bar, most of the patrons there are there to watch the game and don't mind cheering, etc., whereas I know from experience when you go to just an ordinary bar that happens to have the game on and you cheer and stuff you usually bother other patrons who are not there to watch the game, so that's why I specifically asked about sports bars.

I think I'll check out the Grotto in Dewey and if that doesn't seem to fit the bill, I'll drive up to the Grand Slam.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
648 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

Yes, I think that Grotto's has TVs. If you are staying in Dewey, you'll be able to walk to several places. I like the Light House, but if you just go to a few places, you'll find one you like. Nalu is fun too.

Mentioned in this post
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sports Bar Suggestions?

CloneJessie, thanks. Nalu is definitely on our list of places to go to. We're thinking of going there for lunch and an afternoon drink.