We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor - Mid-May visit

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor - Mid-May visit

My extended family is planning a first time visit to Rehoboth Beach in mid-May 2009. Coming with 6 adults, 4 early-20's partiers and 2 little boys. We like to go to the beach, hang out, eat at casual restaurants, site see, walk around, shop, etc. Basically hang out. We don't need expensive restaurants or high-end shops.

We'd like to be close to the beach and within easy walking distance to restaurants, shops and boardwalk. We are looking at large houses close to the beach.

I've been reading the Forum posts but have some questions:

What will the weather be like in mid-May?

What area do you recommend?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

May is a tough month weather wise. It can be relatively nice at times, but also pretty cold at others (too cold to sit on the beach). The water temps will be much too cold to even think about swimming.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

newtomd is definitely right about the water temps, unless you are polar bears forget about swimming in may.

delaware & maryland....well. weather is just about impossible to predict, it's always a crapshoot in the shoulder months. could be hot, could be cold, could even be downright pleasant, which may USUALLY is....warm during the day & cool at night.

but you can't count on anything.

as an example: this year, the week between christmas & new years' was COLD. a couple years ago, that week was so warm that our dewey beach neighbors who don't even have HEAT in their vacation house came down...all the kids were IN THE WATER & the adults were on the beach in t-shirts. that was an anomaly, but just goes to show, you never can tell.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

as for large houses ....um...

south rehoboth or north dewey, i'd say.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

Thanks for the clarification on the whether DogMom ... when I said that the weather is tough in May, I really meant tough to predict (kinda forgot to finish my thought).

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

Yes the weather here is totally unpredictable. My son has skimboarded in January. Yesterday the bay water close to shore and in the marinas was frozen.If you really want to swin there are some hotels with indoor pools Off season rates can be a bargain. For info on hotels checkout www.rehoboth.com or the chamber at www.beachfun.com. An interesting site for home rentals would be www.flipkey.com.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

Sorry the chamber website should be www.beach-fun.com

7. Re: First time visitor - Mid-May visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 11, 2009