We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to New York City for show

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Going to New York City for show

My wife and I will be in Rehoboth Beach from Sept 6-10 (2008) to spend a few days with some friends. We have a rental car and were thinking about driving into NYC for dinner and a show. Would it be better to take the train into NYC or to drive to midtown and find a parking lot for the day? Also is there anyplace else you would recommend to day as a day trip from Rehoboth Beach?

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to New York City for show

jay....NYC is not what i'd call a day trip from rehoboth beach.

honestly, hon...look at your maps again.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to New York City for show

ok...just did a very simple mapquest...nothing but "rehoboth beach" to "new york city"

3 hours 42 minutes was their estimate. which as we all know assumes you are driving non-stop at the speed limit the entire time, with no traffic delays or anything.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to New York City for show

as for the train, i assume but am not sure that you could get one in wilmington DE....not exactly a short drive either, almost two hours....

then however long on the train....not a practical idea either way.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to New York City for show

A day trip to NYC is possible but as Dogmom siad, it is a really long drive and not an easy one with traffic. If you want to go to a major city while at the beach, Philly, Baltimore, and DC would be closer. However, all are 2 to 3 hours each way so they are not the easiest day trips either

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to New York City for show

Another option is to drive to Wilmington and get the "Double Happiness" bus to NYC. It's about $25 pp, drops you off at Macy's. Do book ahead of time online, gives you preference over people showing up without resies. Not sure if their schedule permits return on the same day, we've always stayed a couple of nights. Don't expect a Rolls Royce.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to New York City for show

if you really want a day trip to a city, maybe consider annapolis?

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to New York City for show

Annapolis: Wait until after rush hour to return; the bridge approach backs up for miles and miles.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to New York City for show

agreed, ferd....i was assuming they were planning on returning in the evening after dinner & a possible show.

certainly no "shows" per se in annapolis, but some nice music venues....

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to New York City for show

When we go to NYC, we always spend the night. It's worth considering! We drive to Wilmington, park at the train station & ride in from there. It's a loooong trip. About 2 hrs to the train, and then about 3 hours on the train, but it's fun.

We usually stay at the Sheraton Manhattan at Times Square and can usually get a room for around $250 a night, but it takes some planning.

If you have more fortitude than us, you could try a day trip... leave by 4 am, spend the day walking around sight seeing, then catch a matinee and head back. It's conceivable. It would be too difficult for me personally, but I'm sure lots of people do it.

If you have your mind set on NYC, I say go for it... you can always get a cheap room in Wilmington on the way home if you are too tired to drive the whole way.

As far as other suggestions for day trips, I enjoy taking the ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ. It's super cheap if you board as a foot passenger & they have nice shuttle busses on the other end to get you into town. We especially enjoy the historic bus tours that take you around Cape May with a guide (we like the Victorian architecture tour the best).

Enjoy your trip!

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to New York City for show

^What CloneJessie said!

I have family in Wilmington, DE, and they would always take the train into NYC -- sometimes the train in Wilmington, sometimes the train in NJ because train tickets are cheaper -- it is definitely a doable trip in a day, but since you are from Rehoboth, it would obviously be a longer trip for you! I would almost want to spend at least one night in NYC to make the trip more "worth it", because that would be a lot of traveling to do in a single day!

--Jessica