We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

Years ago on our way to Rehoboth from the DC area, we used to pass by some good fruit stands that had great fresh corn in August. Does anyone know if there are any still in operation along any of the various routes to Rehoboth (from the Bay Bridge.) If not, does anyone know of any corn stands in the Deleware beach area? Our family loves fresh corn and the stuff they sell in the supermarket usually tastes like cardboard! Thanks!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

there are a slew of them still. you can't miss 'em.

also, there's a new place called pfizers', on route 1 in dewey beach, left hand side heading south, just about at chicago street, where the gas station & convenience store used to be.

they sell mostly produce from their own farm, but also a nice though small selection of other stuff....bread from pasqualini's bakery, sandwiches, various nice jarred stuff like jams & relishes, a few basic groceries, & cooked chicken & ribs.

CA and DE
Level Contributor
114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

I have always seen plenty of stands along the route. I love fresh fruits and vegetables.

What I just discovered is that many towns also have a farmer's market. Look here for a list:

dda.delaware.gov/marketing/DE_FRMVENS.shtml

I haven't gone here yet, but you can try the Rehoboth farmer's market:

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware 19971

Days of Operation: Tuesdays

Hours of Operation: Noon - 4:00PM

Dates of Operation: June 3, 2008 - October 14, 2008

Email: pat@coluzziconsulting.com

For more information or to obtain a 2008 Vendor Application, Pat Coluzzi at (302) 249.7878

Clifton, VA
Level Contributor
314 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

Make sure you look carefully where that "local produce" is coming from. The last time I tried buying "local" tomatoes on the way to Rehoboth, I noticed the sellers unloading them out of a cardbord box marked "Produce of Florida"..........needless to say, I passed!!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

well....tomatoes aren't really in season in this area till well into summer, so lots of places DO sell florida tomatoes early on.

if you've got a hankering for tomatoes, they can be pretty good, if you choose them carefully.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

Coming from the DC area using 404 between Bridgeville and Georgetown , De you will pass Elmer's with a great selection. There are also several smaller ones on the way.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

Many Thanks! We are off in a few hours!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

Be prepared for a "fleecing."

There is a guy who sells corn along southbound 1D, about a half a mile from Lowes. He's charging $5.50 a dozen & people are lining up to pay it.

The "going rate" this season seems to be about $4.00/doz. I can get it for half that in Lancaster county (PA) and it's better corn (I've been thinking I should bring a truckload down to sell).

I've had very good corn from the grocery stores (hit or miss). It's often 5 ears for $2.00 but have seen it as low as $1.99/doz.

Rehoboth Beach, DE
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

The Rehoboth Beach Farmers' Market is a producer only market which means all produce is grown locally and is usually picked the day of the market. You should come by for a visit on Tuesdays from Noon to 4pm. You won't be disappointed. Check-out the website at http://www.rbfarmersmarket.com.

9. Re: Fresh Corn Stands near or en route to Rehoboth ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 30, 2009