We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Topic
Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

Next month we are staying in Rehoboth for the first time and bringing our dog. I have heard Dewey Beach allows dogs on-leash before 9:30am and after 5:30pm. Does anyone know of other dog-friendly locations nearby?

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

areas of the state parks allow dogs on the beach, & on the hiking trails(unless they are labeled as "nature trails" instead of hiking). mine have enjoyed the gordon's pond hike (short), cape henlopen (the area up in lewes) and holt's landing.

.....they're also allowed on the biking-hiking trail that runs east of route 1.(junction & breakwater).

http://www.destateparks.com/pets/petbeach.htm

in rehoboth, the streets are VERY dog friendly (just stay off the boardwalk & beach). two restaurants come to mind for outside dining with your dog - arena's and cafe sole. some shops welcome them (critter beach of course!) but also browseabout books (great bookstore...they LOVE dogs!)

for dewey, you'll need to stop at town hall & get a license (inexpensive & good for the life of the dog -take proof of vaccination).

i'll admit that no one has ever asked to see my girls' licenses...but better to be on the safe side because the fine is substantial.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

The last poster is right on the money.

I your pooch enjoys meeting other dogs, the Junction & Breakwater Rail-Trail is a favorite for dog-walkers.

You are supposed to pay DE SP access fees (honor system but they do check) if you use the parking lot back the road that Wawa is on but not if you park behind the Tanger Bayside Outlets.

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

Thanks, these are great suggestions!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

here's some more (went digging in the recycle bin & found an article from last sunday's baltimore sun travel section.

more restaurants -

Irish Eyes in Lewes

gillligan's waterfront restaurant, also Lewes

Lori's Oy-Vey cafe, on baltimore ave. in rehoboth

beaches -

delaware seashore state park (south of dewey - any part not marked for swimming)

and Broadkill beach (which is north of Lewes)

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

& JUST in case...

if you need a vet, i'd recommend savannah animal hospital. i've had a couple of emergencies over the past few years & they're really nice about it.

http://www.savannahanimalhosp.com/

back in may, my senile 17 year old 8 pound dog got into the groceries in the car & ate a HALF POUND of bologna - knew it would be instant pancreatitis & vomiting had to be induced, but there was a nor'easter at the moment, so i just drove directly there, couldn't even call first. they were great!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

ok, what the heck, since you haven't checked back again...one more hint about the state parks...

you can get brochures with maps for all the parks at the office down by the indian river inlet...

on the right side of route 1 south of dewey just before you get to the bridge.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

i guess i should say this here too, in case this thread comes up again...

browesabout books cannot let dogs inside anymore, due to the health department nazis.

they serve food in a small way, so the idiotic powers that be have found them out, two years or so later....& so, sadly, no dogs allowed inside anymore.

my dixie's heart is broken, she LOVED going into that bookstore! stupid health department!!

MAYBe SOME day the US will be as enlightened as much of europe is!

8. Re: Dog-friendly Rehoboth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 03, 2009