We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a weekend trip and want to find a quiet (not many kids or drunk parting) place to stay. Any suggestions?

I'm willing to stay a little ways away, but I'm concerned about the traffic on Rt 1. Do you know if it gets very backed up and if so, how long it would take to get to Rehoboth from Bethany? Or to Rehoboth from Lewes area?

Thanks!

CA and DE
Level Contributor
114 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

I always like Sea Colony near Bethany Beach for a quiet, family place to stay. There will be children on the beach. If you truly mean no kids, you will see kids at Sea Colony. There are condos for rent on the beach, or homes near the tennis complex for rent (walking distance to the beach). Sea Colony has its own security. Loud drunken partying is not allowed. Some rentals offer 'mini weeks' so you might find one available for your weekend.

I can't speak to traffic times.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually looking at a possible condo at Bear Trap Dunes (about 3 miles inland from Bethany). Do you know anything about this place?

Thanks!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

Bear Trap Dunes is in Ocean View, which is about 3 miles West of Bethany. It is a golf course community with no onsite water access, although I believe that they run shuttles to the beach in Bethany. If going to the beach is important to you, I would recommend staying closer to the beach (walking distance because of parking and traffic), somewhere east of Route 1. If the beach not important, then Bear Trap Dunes is probably okay.

To get to Rehoboth from Bear Trap (do not go through Bethany), you want to take a left out of Bear Trap and go through Ocean View (watch for speed traps in town) north on Central Avenue, which changes into Cedar Neck Road once you cross the Assawoman canal bridge, turn left of Fred Hudson Road, and then left on Route 1.

With no traffic, it would probably take 30 minutes to get to Rehoboth Beach. However, traffic can back-up going northbound into Dewey Beach at peak times, which dramatically the travel times.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

Opps I meant a right out of Bear Trap in my directions above.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

And also right on Fred Hudson Road ... I must still be asleep this morning.

Bethany Beach, DE
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

cyda57,

Here is a list of ammenities at Bear Trap:

http://www.beartrapdunes.com/amenities.html

The condos do have buses that take vacationers to the beach...better than trying to find a parking space. Also the price of parking downtown has gone up to $1.50 plus per hour on the meters. We stopped downtown last Saturday and it was a quarter for 12 1/2 minutes.

Rt. 26 and Rt. 1 are fine during the middle of the week. Saturdays and Sundays are when the back ups take place.

We just drove to Lowes in Lewes from Ocean View and it was a breeze and took 25 minutes. Rehoboth Beach would have been abit shorter. The construction on RT. 1 is ending this week according to the news except on the Indian River bridge....speed limit is still 35 MPH.

Have a good vacation.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
627 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

In the summer, it will take a long time to get from Bear Trap to Rehoboth. Not so much an issue as long as you get there by 10 AM & don't try to leave at 4 or 5 PM!!!!! Getting out of Bethany is pretty easy, but you'll hit the most traffic through Dewey. It's not a commute I would recommend... I try to stay away from Dewey all summer if possible.

There are plenty of quiet areas to stay in Rehoboth & Lewes -- there's really no need to go all the way down to Bethany. Dewey is the only rowdy place.

8. Re: Rehoboth - Rt 1 traffic? Quiet place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 30, 2009