We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Delaware

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
orange county NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Delaware

Hi,

I was considering Trap Pond for family camping. We want to tent. However, my sister in law does not have a tent so the Yurt/Cabin deal sounded good.

However, when I came to Trip Advisor to see if it was a good idea, I read that there is no swimming there? How far do we have to go?

What other alternatives are there so that we can all be happy. My son will not survive without water to actually go into.

Thanks for your help. Ana

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Delaware

See the post on Big Oaks. This will be our third year, in a cabin. There is small pool and Cape Henlopen is about 10 minutes away. $8 US for out of state day pass.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Delaware

Big oaks might fill your needs. There can be very heavy traffic during the season so I wouldn't take Qxy's 10 minutes too seriously.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Delaware

Ok...so maybe not 10 minutes exactly!! LOLOLOL Actually we have only done long weekends for Memorial day or Labor Day so maybe the traffic isn't a bad then but it was not a LONG drive!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
582 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Delaware

I would not recommend Big Oaks.

You can actually camp in Cape Henlopen State Park & be right at the beach!

There is tent & cabin camping up at Killens Pond and there is a WATER PARK onsite (only $2).

Many other parks in Delaware have swimming options in either pools, ocean or lakes. Check out

destateparks.com/Activities/…swimming.htm

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Delaware

CloneJessie,

If you don't mind my asking, why wouldn't you recommend Big Oaks?

We're planning to stay there in July in one of their cabins and would be interested in the reasons why you would not recommend it....thanks.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Delaware

I'm also curious. We have stayed there numerous times, in fact just this past Memorial Day. We love it there.

Yes, you can camp at the State Park, BUT, there are many more restrictions, particularly for out-of-state.

7. Re: Camping in Delaware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 27, 2009