We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicyclists....another plea from the heart

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bicyclists....another plea from the heart

be aware, PLEASE....

if you ride your bicycle on route 1...you are taking a HUGE risk!

i got here this afternoon & stopped at the High's on route 1 for some milk...waiting to make a right turn at the red light, i noticed a young lady on a bicycle coming south on route 1 toward the light. no helmet, of course.

she proceeded into the intersection just as the light changed, and a driver in the middle lane didn't see her & started forward. it was a VERY VERY close call...a matter of inches!

i was shaken & just grateful i saw a close call instead of a tragedy.

PLEASE if you MUST ride on route 1, at LEAST wear a helmet!

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

Are there rental scooters up there? I thought I saw some last visit. They are a big safety issue here as well as bikes, very hard to see and inexperienced drivers. However bicycles are allowed and encouranged to ride on the sidewalks.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

I have seen a few scooters in town but not out on Rt 1.The problem is the foreign workers who are not familiar with our driving or customs riding bikes on the highway where there are not many sidewalks.Also people walking across the highway where ever they choose are a problem.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

don't know about rental scooters, though i've seen scooters....

i know that sometimes i wonder why we come down for the 4th...

driving is a NIGHTMARE! especially if you TRY your best to be careful & courteous, as i do. people, bikes, and cars just dart out at you from every direction, and if you try to be careful, the person behind you is likely as not going to lean on their horn :P

DM
washington DC
Level Contributor
708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

What time should we arrive on the 4th to avoid huge traffic problems? We were planning to arrive about 1pm...

Thanks!

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

4th of July there will be traffic problems . Fire works on the beach at night will cause massive jam in town.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

I would say the only way to avoid traffic problems is to not come, but if you live in DC, I guess staying home won't be any better! (biggest fireworks display in the US?)

RE: traffic: Heartily agree with DOGMOM. My wife & are two of the nearly extict breed of drivers who try to be courteous and obey the traffic laws but find that on many occassions that only puts you at risk for road rage or rear-enders.

Bike riders arguably have it worse because they tend to inconvenience and/or briefly cause drivers to have to slow down, which, to many impatient drivers, is an inexcuseable offense.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

amen, daddio!

it IS hard...i needed to gas up my car today & had a difficult time getting into the right-turn lane between a couple of bicyclists...but i did it, much to the annoyance of the drivers behind me.

i just wish those kids would wear helmets! not ONE i saw today was wearing one!

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

I owned a scooter rental place here and had a small section of real curb on my counter. When I offered customers helmets and they refused, I asked them to very gently tap their foreheads on the curb....very gently. Even that hurt most of them. I then said imagine just a 10 MPH fall..........a lot took the helmet.

The bicyclists will learn on the first takedown by a nice hard SUV.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

keywest...hey...don't pick on the suv's...LOL i drive a dodge durango...

and i am so damned courteous a driver that i get on the nerves of the the drivers behind me

Boca Raton, FL
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bicyclists....another plea from the heart

We rented bikes while staying in Rehoboth last year. The people at Alantic Cycles gave us maps that showed how to avoid the highway. They also gave us helmets at no extra charge.