We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything to know about the last week of August?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
109 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Anything to know about the last week of August?

Hi, friends - I am hoping to take my family to DE for a week's stay this summer (and focused on Lewes at the moment). One possibility is the last week of August. For many properties, this is priced as "prime" season. For a few, the price starts to decline, and I've even seen a few with a very steep drop. This make me curious...are folks just not renting as much because that's the time to get ready for the start of school, or is there some other reason why the last week of August might be so much less expensive? I have no idea really what this could be...I can't imagine that the temps drop too much...but do the winds/bugs/jellyfish or something else come and make this a less popular time? One example is a house charge about 50% less for the last week of August then for the prior week. Thanks in advance!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

Many school districts in Delaware and Pennsylvania start school the week before Labor Day now. So the demand is significantly lower and that week begins the shoulder season for the Delaware beaches.

I'm surprised to hear that any Delaware beach properties price as though that last week in August is just as popular as the first three weeks. That hasn't been the case for many years. If you find a property you really like, you could try negotiating -- though this is probably a little early.

There's absolutely no better time at the Delaware beaches than late August to early October. Lucky you to be able to enjoy the area at its prime, and hopefully at a nice discount, too!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
109 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

Thanks very much! Most of the properties I've been looking at are priced as prime or near prime for the whole week of August, including that last week. There have been a few where the prices ticked down, but your note makes me feel better that it's not due to, I don't know, seasonal foul stench or something bizarre! I think we'll book!

While I'd like to wait to have a better shot at negotiating (the rental agent concurs with you and said the chances of negotiating this early out are basically zilch)...it seems like all of July and most of August are already not available...and I suspect that must be because the owners are occupying their vacation home during this prime family vacation time. So even this far out, availability for favorable rentals already looks somewhat limited.

Thank you for your insight! I am excited for my first trip to DE!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Lewes is a darling little town with both quaint and trendy shopping.

Just want to be sure you understand Lewes is NOT an ocean town. It's on the Delaware Bay. So the beach experience is very different -- no real waves on Lewes Beach. You can drive just a couple miles and go to Cape Henlopen State Park, which does have an ocean beach. There's an entrance fee, but I don't think it's very high.

For ocean beach towns (as opposed to state park), you'd want to head a little farther south, to Rehoboth Beach or Dewey Beach. Or 20 minutes farther south, to Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

Last week in August.{The week before Labor Day} is very slow with all the schools that have gone back. I would wait for a last minute deal on the rental.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

I'm not involved in the rental market so I won't comment on rates, will will offer two other comments. First, Lewes is not a very big place. There aren't high rise condos or large resort areas. I'd be careful about waiting very long if something appeals to you. Second, as a local I think you'd enjoy coming at that time even more than earlier. The area gets crowded during the summer and arriving a bit later gives you all the good stuff without the lines.

Delaware
Level Contributor
25 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

I agree with Lukespaw, this is a great area to visit in early fall. The crowds, traffic, etc. are less and it is just more enjoyable. My husband and I visited Lewes for the first time in Sept 2006 and have returned each year. Until now-- we recently built a home there and are moving. It is a great town and Cape Henlopen is it's best part. :) Enjoy!

7. Re: Anything to know about the last week of August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, June 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lewes