We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time staying in Lewes

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Central PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time staying in Lewes

After staying the last 8 years in Fenwick Island, we'll be staying at Homestead Campground near Lewes this year. We do the usual things like going to the Rehoboth Boardwalk, the outlets...etc. so we're fairly familiar with the Rehoboth/Lewes area as far as Coastal Highway is concerned. I've been looking into some out-of-the-way places to eat/drink and I've found there's a place called Overstuffed Sandwiches, Surf Bagel, and a bar called the Coral Bay Cafe as well as a few pizza places. Any opinions on these? Also looking for recommendations for a casual place to stop for a beer or 2 on the way back from the beach. Thanks!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time staying in Lewes
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

Hi there! You will love Homestead Campground! I love it there - great atmosphere, good people, nice amenities.

OK - I've never eaten at overstuffed sandwiches so I can't weigh in on that one, however, I can personally attest to the fact that Surf Bagel is one of the best sandwich/bagel shops around! They make fresh wraps that are to die for - Kiv's fish wrap is my go-to! Also, they make an outstanding pizza bagel. I've never been to Coral Bay but I've driven by it a number of times and its def close to your camp site. I know it's a locals spot - probably won't see many tourists as it's off the beaten path. Bars and restaurants nearby Homestead that I recommend after the beach -

Grotto Grand Slam Lewes 5/pts - my favorite pizza! Also, they serve ice cold beer and popcorn - great snacks for after the beach :)

The Green Turtle - Lewes/Villages at Five Points

Pickled Pig - Rt 1/Lewes (craft beers)

Bethany Blues - Rt. 1/Lewes

Arenas at Five Points - Lewes/Villages at Five Points - great sandwiches

Good luck!

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Central PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time staying in Lewes

Wow...thanks! I'm sure we'll be happy at Homestead. We never went to OCMD much and drove up to Rehoboth or Bethany almost every day. It'll be nice to be so close to everything now. We never knew Homestead was even there until last year. We were scouting out other campgrounds to possibly put our trailer on a permanent/seasonal site. That's on hold for now, but we did decide to stay there for our annual trip since it's such a nice place.

Thanks for the tips. We do enjoy exploring off the beaten path. It's nice to get away from the crowds. Often times the food and service is better, and its fun to chat with the locals and learn things about the area.

3 more weeks to go! Can't wait!

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time staying in Lewes

Grotto's Grand Slam is a great place for pizza and I love snacking on their popcorn before the meal.

I've always loved the Green Turtle and we are always stopping in at the Lewes location, but the last few times have been lackluster at best. Each time the place is half full at best and there is a wait. They don't employ enough staff and it causes for angry customers. The place was a quarter full this past Saturday night when we got there at 7:15 and we didn't leave there til almost 9 pm and all we did was eat dinner.

I was always confused in the past why the Arena's in Lewes was only open for breakfast & lunch while the other locations were open all day. I was pleasantly surprised to see them still open at 7 pm this past Saturday...not sure if that will be ongoing.

Bethany Blues BBQ is a must if you are in Lewes and looking for some great BBQ.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time staying in Lewes

Also, try getting to the Lewes Farmer's Market held Saturday mornings in downtown Lewes. I always go when we are down for some fresh produce.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time staying in Lewes

I do have to jump in here with the restaurant comments. I live near the beaches but a little inland, Bethany Blues is the only restaurant that would cause me to drive in. and get involved with the traffic. Their babyback ribs are the best!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time staying in Lewes

Yes we've been to Bethany Blues in Bethany. Great stuff. Love Mango's too.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
133 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time staying in Lewes

Overstuffed Sandwiches are really good! Try to have a sub from there each time we are down. Just be aware they are not open Sundays and not too late at night.

8. Re: First time staying in Lewes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, July 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lewes